MercMonitor on older engine

I've been trying to find an answer to this question, and my Google searches keep coming up with Don and European Marine. And I found out he's a mod on this board, so here's my question.

My boat has a 2006 Mercruiser (I/O, not an outboard) 350 Horizon Mag MPI 5.7L. My last trip out the alarm horn sounded every time I tried to apply significant throttle (beyond about 1000 RPM). Oil pressure was 35-40 PSI, temperature 165-170 F. I called my mechanic, who had me try throttling up in neutral. The engine was able to go past 2500 RPM with no alarm in neutral. He had me visually check various things including coolant level and engine lube level. Everything seemed OK except the oil level seemed way too high (can that cause the alarm horn?). He said I'd have to bring the boat in so they can hook up the diagnostic gizmo to the engine and read the fault codes.

Their earliest available time slot is at the end of the month. So I've been considering buying and installing a MercMonitor so I wouldn't have to trailer the boat to my mechanic every time there's an alarm horn or beep. I managed to find a copy of the MercMonitor manual, and it states:

"NOTE: Descriptive text alarm warning screens are displayed with Gen I (2007) engines and newer."

Now, that sounds like with my 2006 engine (0W626158), I will only get the alarm fault code with no text description. But I wanted to be sure before I drop over $700 for a Level 2 single engine MercMonitor (with NMEA 2000 since my plotter is compatible). Will the MercMonitor display the fault codes with my engine?

If your motor is Smartcraft ready, I HIGHLY encourage you to buy your Mercmonitor from a board sponsor as they give us discounts. Most all of us bought ours from Don Weed (EuropeanAM) over on the 3.0L or 4 Stroke sections.

Realize that the Mercmonitor does not store codes. They only show as long as the alarm is active.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s