Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wiping boat after each use?

I always thought it was kind of absurd to wipe the boat down after each use... that is, until I got a new boat and realized how a show room finish can be dirtied up. So my questions are...

1. what happens if I don’t wipe it down after each use?
    2. Does wiping down introduce micro scratched, swirl marks?

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    First seal the boat with Pro Tec http://www.protecproducts.com a sponsor here. Then when you wipe it down after each use the scum line will just wipe off leaving no residue behind. This is especially noticeable on white hulls. To answer your questions, if you don't wipe it down it will in all likely hood leave behind stains that eventually you will never get out. Plus the boat will look like you don't take care of it. For your second question, no it won't leave micro or swirl marks, if you seal it. I got my boat new, have been wiping it down after every use for nearly eighteen years and keeping it sealed and waxed. When most people see my boat they ask if it's new. I'm guessing it added several thousand dollars to the value.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

Not needed after every use imho...just don't let dirt sit on it for months...gets harder to clean when you do that. Rangers stay looking good with minimal effort. One of the great things about the brand in the past.

4. Scraps
    IMHO the idea of wiping down after every use is sort of a discipline thing. Also it just makes less work when you do need to wax if you're maintaining all along. Yesterday I was out and driven off by thunderstorms and a one hour ride home in the rain. I didn't wipe down cuzz she was gonna get dirty riding hoe anyway.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

My 2002 205vx looks showroom new BECAUSE I wipe it down after each use with a cleaner/wax called Buff This. It's just spray, wipe, polish. Easy, peasy !! Plus, I'm OCD, lol !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    I wipe my boat down after each time I pull out of the water. I use Lucas Slick Mist.

I like a clean boat and for me they cost to much to neglect.

It becomes a habit and I don't even consider it to be work.

If you do this you will be pleasantly surprised by the value if you ever decide to trade or sell.

7. Member
    I wipe after each use as well. Love bass boat saver but shipping and availability nixed that. I use Lucas speed wax. Much easier to wipe it down while she’s wet than after cooking on the grime and slime during the ride back. I keep Old bath towels in the boat then wash them each outing
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

8. Member
    I wipe mine down with Bass Boat Saver after each trip unless it is raining when I leave the lake. If you do it every time, takes less than 10 minutes and it will always look great.

9. Member
    I used babes for 10 years on my last boat and wiped down after each use. I got a good trade in for it because the boat looked so good.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

10. Member
    JMHO...I use to wipe down at the ramp. However, what are we wiping off? Dirt, grime, mineral deposits? As I wiped, all that stuff was sticking to my drying cloth, and acts as grit on sandpaper, which kind of defeats the purpose of protecting the finish. Most days I stop by the carwash and rinse then wipe with bassboat saver or slick 50, if weather is not good (too cold, rainy), or my butt is just whipped I'll put it up and rinse it in the drive at a later time. I "think" if you keep a good coat of wax, especially below the rub rail, and slick down every few trips, you'd probably be okay. Just noticed that there are a lot of us OCD cleaners that own bass boat.
    (I usually take mine to the fiberglass shop every 2-3 years to fix any ding that I can see, doesn't matter if anyone else can see:))

11. Member
    Here is my 2C. wipe down at the ramp unless is raining for the the ride home. When I get home no matter what. give her a wash down at least before you pack it up. If you got to work the next day at least you got the road grime off. As time permit's give your ride a through wash and clean. I use Lucas slick mist on boat and hot sauce on the Big motor no water spots good stuff. I apply when bost is a little wet and wipe same with motor. takes me about 1/2 45 min. after a while you ll get a routine A clean boat is a slick boat

12. Member
    I wipe ours down after I get off the ramp and put the tie downs on it etc. before leaving the lake.

I do it to keep it looking good and not just because it is State Law here in Texas.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    I wipe my boat down after each time I pull out of the water. I use Lucas Slick Mist.

I like a clean boat and for me they cost to much to neglect.

It becomes a habit and I don't even consider it to be work.

If you do this you will be pleasantly surprised by the value if you ever decide to trade or sell.
    I have a small gym bag with plenty of Slick Mist and Micro Fiber towels from Costco. My boat always looks like new, because I give it a quick wipe down (including the trailer) after each use.

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

14. Member
    had my 2017 z520c ceramic coated...5 yr warranty ! easy to wipe down, as nothing sticks... no scum line

15. Member
    Glade this was mentioned, last time at river below Barkley Dam, the scum line was awful, wiped it down all but behind the fender where you can not reach with anything because it’s so tight. I guess I will have to hit that while in the water, the L boats are tight on the trailer!!!

16. Member
    I've wiped my boats down after every use the last 30 years my old tr-21 was 13 yrs old and looked showroom condition and she fished many tourneys, my newest boat 2014 z521c gets the same treatment boat bling and vinyl sauce and 303 and my trailer gets no touch tire foam it still looks amazing and new, when I sell it the new owner will get a super clean boat loaded with low hours. I'm OCD and it shows, some people just don't care the boat is a tool my boat is an expensive tool. My truck Ram diesel Laramie and my Harley Road Glide get the same i take pride in my toys.

17. Member
    I wipe mine down every time and wax it once a month . Protect your investment!
    2018 Z520L , 250 pro xs, ultrex 112 , hds 16 carbon , hds 12 carbon both on bbt mounts. Dual power poles

I use Lucas slick mist on mine as soon as I get mine on the trailer

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

19. Member
    I normally fish all weekend and will wipe it down at the end of the weekend. If I miss a time to wipe it down I do not sweat it. I think after everytrip is overkill gel coat is pretty tough it can live with out being wiped down after every trip and still look great. Also I wipe down at home this way I can get all the road grime off

I see 100 boats pull out at Rayburn..maybe one guy wiping down. If you got energy to wipe down a boat..You didn't fish hard enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast