Thread: Inflatable PFD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Switched back to the old foam this year after doing inflatables for a few years. After seeing so many stories of boating deaths I just decided that I'm not relying on that little cartridge to save me if I'm knocked out.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

2. Member
    While back I remember reading about a member who was thrown from his rig and the inflatable style never activated. I will wear my stearns foam jacket and not worry about technology in a situation such as that. All personal preference.

3. Member
    I fish by myself 98% of the time. I wear the inflatable one while fishing and the foam one when the outboard is running. I wear the inflatable one while fishing just incase I fall overboard and break an arm/leg/neck or get knocked unconscious from the fall and I am not able to swim back into the boat. I have gotten knocked overboard before after bumping a stump while the trolling motor was on high (water was too muddy to see stump about 6" below the surface). The boat stopped completely in a split second and since I was standing straight up on the boat (like most of us), I went straight into the water. Scared the crap out of me. I was alone and I'm truly grateful I didn't bump my head, or break something during the fall. If I could wear a foam life jacket while fishing and be able to to still cast as freely and not overheat in the summer, I would. For now though, I'll just stick to my current system.

4. Member
    As I stated prior, I have a Mustang HIT that I use, But; I only use it when fishing alone. My logic is that when fishing with someone else in the boat, I'll use a conventional vest. If I go overboard they can toss me the throwable device if needed. When I fish by myself I wear the Mustang because I won't wear a conventional PFD the entire time I'm on the water. A probable inflation beats nothing at all.

Now with that said, given all the accounts of the inflatables failing, how do they maintain their coast guard certification? Are those with direct knowledge of the failures reporting it to anyone?
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

5. Member
    Aside from the potential for not inflating when required, I believe that inflatable life vests are going to make it far more difficult for you to get back in the boat due to their bulk. Without deflating them you would have very restricted movement and vision. Also, if you were in a situation where there is potential for you going in again, or the boat sinking, you need something that is going to work repeatedly. Inflatables will potentially turn you up the right way if you're unconcious, but unless your fishing with somebody or are fortunate enough to be spotted by someone when you fall in, being unconsious is probably going to be fatal whether you die of drowning from being face down or hypothermia from being in the water. I prefer to hope I'm concious and have a chance of recovering myself into the boat, so wear a foam life vest, when I wear one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12