Help please. Need info about SC fishing for the week after Labor day.

Howdy, I spend summers in TN (Winter in TX).
    My wife's golfing buddies are arriving 9/7/18. I am getting OUT OF TOWN! We are near Knoxville, TN. for the summer.

Thinking going North to Michigan, but realized that the SC coast isn't any further. I am trying to find some cooler weather; catch redfish/blues/seatrout/ LM bass/muskies or anything that swims and pulls hard.

I'll be pulling my 1652 G3 tinny. Runs shallow but not good for big water. I am used to fishing Galveston, TX saltwater flats, as well as FW lakes.

Any suggestions for this old (78) codger? I'm in pretty good shape. Launch and load 3 times a week now. Guess I am looking for a motel/cabin ? with a launch or near a launch on small water/flats for the weekend plus a few days after Labor Day week. 9/8--9/12/18

Thank you. richg99

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'd think the area around Charleston SC would be right up your alley. If you are retired military you can stay at Short Stay in Monck's corner. You'll be right at the Cooper river and that will have all the fish you mentioned. You may also want to look up around the Georgtown area or south side of North Carolina are Kure, Wrightsville beach areas as I-40 begins/ends there.

Can you recommend a good inshore fishing guide near Charleston, SC?

Quote Originally Posted by Bragon View Post
    Can you recommend a good inshore fishing guide near Charleston, SC?
    Jamie Hough stays on them pretty good. He's all over Facebook.
    http://www.redfishmafiacharters.com/

5. Member
    If your looking to be near the coast, the Charleston area is going to be up your alley. Redfish is solid that time of year and into October. Plus you can fish some killer freshwater fisheries within an hour drive depending on where your staying. Plus if you've never visited Charleston it's a pretty nice place to go and see.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

6. Member
    re Charleston....can you give me one specific place to launch a 16 ft. tinny where I can fish some SaltWater flats for reds?

7. Member
    I used to put in at IOP marina amd fished that area, thats been 6 years ago though. May want to call and check.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

8. Member
    Thanks, looks like that would get me into Gray's Bay and it appears there are lots of small bayous off of it. If this comes off, I'd like to catch a redfish again. There aren't any in Tennessee! Ha Ha
    rich

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    re Charleston....can you give me one specific place to launch a 16 ft. tinny where I can fish some SaltWater flats for reds?
    I've launched my various 16' Xpress boats a few times over the years in salt ..... so I know the challenges.

In that area, I like Buckhall. You can run the ICW and backwater on days it's windy, yet if it's calm you can get out on the big water without issues. Also, it's halfway between Charleston and Georgetown, in case the fishing happens to be better one direction or the other. If you end up in Georgetown, it's hard to beat Winyah Bay area. South Island Ferry ramp is a popular one, just know that the bay has some really skinny areas on low tide, and it can get rough in a small boat on windy days.

Get the guide on day one, and then DIY the rest of the trip.

Lastly ..... and most importantly .... Shrimp Season opens Sept 7th ...... a lot of the area will be a ZOO!!!!! It's a annual pilgrimage for many in this state. Just so you know. A lot of camp grounds and ramps in backwater areas will be full. Those 2 ramps I mentioned will be popular.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

10. Member
    "Shrimp Season opens Sept 7th".....Yikes.... We don't have any such thing in Texas, at least as much as I know about it.

Does the shrimp season screw up fishing during the week? Is it mainly a weekend thing?

If it is going to be THAT crowded...maybe I should go to North Carolina instead???? I wonder if they have some season that will mess me up?

I was thinking of a couple of quiet days, .........Far from the madding crowd(s).
    rich

11. Member
    Most of the people shrimping will be going at night, so don't sweat it. Lots of water in the Charleston area to spread out.

12. Member
    OK.., That helps a lot. thanks. How about motels etc. Are these mostly local people who stay at home, or do they come from all over the state?

13. Member
    You shouldn't have any issue getting a motel. Remley's Point landing in Mt Pleasant is a good landing, but crowded on weekends. Now that deer season has started and football season is coming it'll slow down some.

14. Member
    Yea, you shouldn't have any problems (fishing or finding a place) .......... I just didn't want you to think it was going to be a ghost town and all that water to yourself. There will be people from +3hrs away making the drive and staying a few days to a week just to go shrimping. Most will do it at night, but some will in the day as well ..... or they will fish the day instead. With all that said, between Charleston to Georgetown there is a lot of water to get away from the crowd, and skinny enough places to safely put a 16' tin in even if the wind kicks up.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

15. Member
    Thank you. Still awaiting the "golfing girl's" decision on when and how long they will be staying.

16. Member
    Just got the word that our guests are arriving on Saturday the 7th and leaving the morning of Wednesday 11th. Not worth my time to drive, fish and return so quickly. I guess I will just make some long day trips near home and sleep in my own bed.

Thanks for all of the help. I may make this trip anyhow some day. I'll try to avoid the shrimp season. Ha ha
    rich