Prop advice please

I have a 2005 Xpress X19 with a 175 VMAX HPDI turning a Powertech TR04 23P. Hi Jacker 6" plate. 5500 RPMs. 4" PTP. Lift is good. Water pressure is good. My best run was Friday. 63.2 MPH. Air and water temp were 85 degrees. Empty livewell, 3 batteries, 1/2 tank of fuel, light load, and me @ 260 pounds. I want to stay at 5500. I'm not interested in running on the limiter. Is there a prop that would do better, maybe a 3 blade? Mark worked on my prop for my last boat and I wouldn't hesitate to send him another one. Any advice?
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

I good 3 blade should be a little faster... Only 1-2 mph. 23M, 23 Tempest plus is what I'd try. Now that the Fury3 is offered in a 23P I'd try that too as you run the motor deeper. You might raise the motor some for better performance on these props.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am going to go up more on the plate first. I'm guessing once I settle on a 3 blade I should send it to Mark for B and B?
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

4. Member
    Why not let Mark work the TR04? I've ran that prop in a 24p that I had him B&B in the past. Out of the box I couldn't get it to run very high. It would break lose and just didn't bite well. After Mark worked on it I could run it higher and got much better lift. I always liked the way the TR04 handled. My three blade 25M Yamaha prop was also B&B by Mark and it was only about 1mph faster but did not handle as well or carry a load as well IMO. I'd play with the plate some more and see how high you can run and and what speed you can get then send it to Mark for B&B and/or pitch adjustment if you need it to get those RPMs up. You might find another 100 RPMs by just adjusting the plate and then if you pitched down another 150-200. That would put you in a very good place for that motor.
    Last edited by Bass Junkie; 08-19-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Why not let Mark work the TR04? I've ran that prop in a 24p that I had him B&B in the past. Out of the box I couldn't get it to run very high. It would break lose and just didn't bite well. After Mark worked on it I could run it higher and got much better lift. I always liked the way the TR04 handled. My three blade 23M Yamaha prop was also B&B by Mark and it was only about 1mph faster but did not handle as well or carry a load as well IMO. I'd play with the plate some more and see how high you can run and and what speed you can get then send it to Mark for B&B and/or pitch adjustment if you need it to get those RPMs up. You might find another 100 RPMs by just adjusting the plate and then if you pitched down another 150-200. That would put you in a very good place for that motor.
    Thanks for the response and the advice. I am new to V6s and assumed a 3 blade was always a better speed option. I am maxed out on my plate and now am going to have to raise the motor to the top hole and readjust the plate. I am willing to send my TR04 to Mark for sure. Like you, I am happy with the handling of the TR04.
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

6. Member
    As a general rule a 3 blade will be faster but not by much and sometimes at the sacrifice of some handling and load carrying ability. My TR04 always made of a very good handling boat, and the speed difference was small enough I didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    As a general rule a 3 blade will be faster but not by much and sometimes at the sacrifice of some handling and load carrying ability. My TR04 always made of a very good handling boat, and the speed difference was small enough I didn't care.
    I'm going to stick with the TR04. As soon as I get the motor as high as I can go with good water pressure and no loss of speed I'm going to send it to Mark. I want to have all the right data before I send it off. Thanks for all the help!
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175