I have a ghost in my 1998 Venom 225

I need advice. Have a 98 Venom 225 (95 powerhead). Few weeks back no spark either side. Checked battery connections etc then discovered I had a sheered flywheel key. Replaced it and all was fine until last week there was no spark again. Had a hunch it was my keyswitch so I replaced it and it fired right away. A couple of days ago I thought I'd start it and once again no spark. Furious I decided I would test all components with a multimeter as per service manual. While checking starting coils I realized I forgot to attach power pack ground after test all worked well and it started, figured I had found the culprit.
    Yesterday, no spark again, hence the reason I suspect I have a poltergeist.

Symptoms No spark either side when it occurs. My problem is that if it was stator, power pack or timer base I think it should not display this intermittent spark condition. I do find myself screaming "I hate boats" more than normal.
    Any suggestions or thoughts?
    Last edited by Camelot; 08-12-2018 at 08:46 AM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    My thoughts are is it may be in the wiring harness. what year is the boat and is the connector to the motor the Big red plug (Cannon)? Or is it the modular Deustch connectors? If the Power head is a 95 it will have the Cannon connector on it. If the harness has been hacked that may be your issue. There is an adapter harness available that converts both ways.

3. Member
    I know I thought the same. I have the deutsch connectors as I kept the ignition from the 98. Crazy thing it has been running so well for over a year now. Even this morning I tried it in the barn, no spark. I put the charger on the battery for an hour and it ran. 2 hours later still on the charger no luck. it has me too scared to go fishing as I hate to be towed in.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Ok so the 95 PH has the 98 Electrical moved over? I'd reseat all the connections at the motor, can't hurt.

5. Member
    If you cranked it over with the power pack ungrounded then you need to test peak voltage on all 6 of the Orange wires.

An ungrounded pack will fry in a heartbeat. And a failing P.pack will definitely come and go like that

6. Member
    I have a engine harness off blown motor . msg me and I can text you pics of it .

7. Member
    An update. I started testing the stator, timer base but couldn't get the power pack back together nicely so I decided to pull the flywheel to give my fat hands more room. I remember seeing a youtube video with a bad flywheel so I swapped my 98 with my 95 flywheel. She started and has been running since. I used Championman's trick of a rope in one cylinder to torque it down. I did have a sheered flywheel key several weeks ago so perhaps it is all related. But for the time being it runs. I can't really explain why.
    Thanks all