Thread: Live well Odor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live well Odor

Did not check live well after last tournament. One week later in a hot garage I was in for a surprise. Odor was unbelievable from a dead shad. Tried everything to get the odor out with limited success. Any suggestions??

mich007

2. Member
    My try mixing some bleach and water and wipe it real good and leave the lids open for a few days.

3. Member
    VT-2 livewell vents

4. Banned
    Fill em with water, dump in 3-4 cups of bleach and let them run on recirc for 30 minutes. Drain, fill with water, recirc for 10 minutes. Drain, fill, recirc for 10 minutes. Then just rinse real good with clean water.

Just keep the lids closed and you won't smell it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    VT-2 livewell vents
    X1000000000
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

7. Banned
    Can't help I never have fish to put in the livewell.

Fill livewell, add 1 gallon white vinegar, 4 cups lemmon juice. Circulate one hour plus. Drain and rense well, allow to dry and wipe inside of livewell with a cap full of vanilla extract.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

I keep a jug of Hydrogen peroxide in the garage and put some in each livewell after every tournament - that will take care of it. Its also used as a fish care additive so you don't risk hurting the fish with a mixture of chemicals.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

10. Member
    Leave your livewell doors open between trips, Oxygen is a good disinfectant plus very bad germs breed in damp dark warm areas. These virus can actually kill your fish.
    I believe bleach is a good disenfectant, of course it should be thoroughly washed out after it has done its job.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Leave your livewell doors open between trips, Oxygen is a good disinfectant plus very bad germs breed in damp dark warm areas. These virus can actually kill your fish.
    I believe bleach is a good disenfectant, of course it should be thoroughly washed out after it has done its job.
    X2.
    I open the lids when the boat goes in the garage, and they stay open until it comes out again.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    X2.
    I open the lids when the boat goes in the garage, and they stay open until it comes out again.
    same here

13. Member
    I bought a fish net dipper in the fish department at Walmart ...................end of day before I empty livewells i scoop up the crawdads , shad ect.

14. Member
    And this is why same guys have dead fish at weigh in over and over. I always wash out my livewells after every trip no matter what time i get back. You need to keep them clean.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    I bought a fish net dipper in the fish department at Walmart ...................end of day before I empty livewells i scoop up the crawdads , shad ect.
    A shop vac works for this, but it will really stink if you don't empty it soon.

16. Member
    Bleach and water....had to get rid of puke smell from a buddy that drank to much whiskey and eggnog....haha...that was the only thing that worked.

17. Member
    Whatever you use make sure you rinse your livewells thoroughly. I know what can happen first hand if you don't.
    Brad Krone

18. Member
    Get some stuff that has enzyme producing bacteria (pet urine odor kind of stuff). Your local janitorial supply house should have something. Follow the directions and you should be good.

There is a company by the name of Kelsan close to you...try them.
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 08-14-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: adding text

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Simple Green will do the trick and is BIO-DEGRADABLE.

Scrub the live wells and add 1/2 cup and enough water so your pumps will recirculate for 10-15 minutes then rinse them out.

20. Banned
    My young fishing buddy uses a livewell “Oxygenator” on the high setting. He says his Oxygenator make pure 100% oxygen (O2) out of water and O2 will prevents livewell stink… Ozone (O3) is more effective than pure oxygen (O2) for cleaning up the stench of death and decay and works quicker and better than Clorox.
    He also said his Oxygenator does increase the electrical current in the livewell water and shocks and supercharges his shad. And that’s a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast