2004 Evinrude 250 low power

E250FPLSR
    2004 Evinrude 250

The engine lost power during Holeshot…. The engine was spooling up just fine then all of a sudden it just dropped RPM for a second then picked back up. The holeshot was slower than normal after that and you could tell the engine was working to get up on plane. I also noticed that the throttle response was not there as well as power. Something was not right. The engine will start just fine and sounds normal at idle.

I pulled the hood and removed the air silencer for the throttle bodies. This is when I noticed that the top port cylinder was blowing air out of the throttle body instead of sucking air in. Broken reed right?...….well I pulled that plug and it was covered with carbon so I'm still thinking reed.

Fast forward to today. I pulled the throttle body to look at the reeds and nothing is broken. They may be weak and not seating like they should? I did a compression check and its 110 on all 6 cylinders so that's good. When I pulled the plugs I noticed the bottom port cylinder plug was loaded up with carbon as well. the rest of the plugs were fine. spark problem??

I'm not sure if it's a spark issue or a fuel issue. When I hook up the diagnostic software will it show me a bad or weak injector? Can I also check the ignition system with the software? Not sure where to go with it next so i'm open to ideas.

Thank you,
    Joe
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you posted a check code yes it will tell you if you have a bad injector the other way is to perform and injector drop test that will show you.

Thanks Fred. No codes popped up. I changed the spark plugs and just got done running it. Like before it fires right up and the plugs are getting spark. That top cylinder is still pushing air back through so I'm going to replace the reeds. It's still sluggish when you snap the throttle open unless those reeds are so worn they are just fluttering?? IDK it's odd.

Any suggestion on reeds? OEM, Boyseen or TDR?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Chris Carson would be my first choice.

Once again....thanks Fred!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

I pulled the reed cages and nothing really stood out. That top cylinder reed cage was showing a little bit of light through, the reed pedals are bowed instead of the tips sticking up like I thought they would. Goind to order a set of Chris Carson reeds and see what happens.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

7. Member
    Joe, I see we are not that far away from each other. Need to meet for coffee or breakfast sometime to talk Rangers,fishing,or fishing trips.

Quote Originally Posted by mark482vs View Post
    Joe, I see we are not that far away from each other. Need to meet for coffee or breakfast sometime to talk Rangers,fishing,or fishing trips.
    I agree! How far are you from the Sheetz on 93?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

9. Member
    Only 1 minute or less mayybe 1/4 of mile

10. Member
    I had similar problem with my 225. I bought reeds from Chris Carson and it ended up being the reed gaskets leaking. Does it run good full throttle? Mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manytoys View Post
    I had similar problem with my 225. I bought reeds from Chris Carson and it ended up being the reed gaskets leaking. Does it run good full throttle? Mine did.
    I tore the reed cages out andthe problem cylinder had a large piece of gasket missing. New reads and gaskets are on the way.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

UPDATE: So just for those that may run into this down the road I found the problem. The gasket between the reed cage and the manifold failed. A large piece of gasket broke free somehow and allowed air to pass through. I installed new gaskets, Chris Carson reeds and the engine runs better than it ever has. Smooth idling, crisp throttle response and my holeshot is back better than before.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Good deal Joe! Glad it wasn't anything major.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    YAY!!!!