Thread: Grass ??

Grass ??

Is there even a lick of grass around the islands and or the flats South of Paris, etc or is it 100% gone?

Thanks.
    Nick N
    Catch 5, Keep'em alive!

2. Member
    Gone

3. Member
    If they can do that they should be able to tackle the carp also!!!

4. Member

5. Member
    For the past 2 years there has not been any whatsoever anywhere. I did however fine just a little bit this summer, so maybe it is on the verge of making a comeback. We can only hope.

6. Member
    Thanks for the responses. Was hoping to have some fun this fall down there in the grass.

Nick N
    Catch 5, Keep'em alive!

It was my understanding the grass disappearing was due to high water levels in the spring and current from pulling the water down. This happened multiple years in a row at the time when it was crucial for the grass to start growing. If my information is not correct then why did the grass disappear?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    It was my understanding the grass disappearing was due to high water levels in the spring and current from pulling the water down. This happened multiple years in a row at the time when it was crucial for the grass to start growing. If my information is not correct then why did the grass disappear?
    This is my belief as well. There were rumors that the grass was sprayed, but i dont believe they could have sprayed all of it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team do work View Post
    This is my belief as well. There were rumors that the grass was sprayed, but i dont believe they could have sprayed all of it.
    That time period is when I was working in Murray driving a truck early mornings, there would be 8 to 10 of those air boats every early morning leave out to spray and wouldn’t get back till dark. They were using helicopters in Tenn spraying so they got a big percentage of it in Ky anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    That time period is when I was working in Murray driving a truck early mornings, there would be 8 to 10 of those air boats every early morning leave out to spray and wouldn’t get back till dark. They were using helicopters in Tenn spraying so they got a big percentage of it in Ky anyway.
    I also witnessed the helicopters. Damm shame !

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    What year was that in?

12. Member
    With good conditions how long would it take to come back?

In March of 2016 there was a lot of green grass south of Paris already 1' high. By mid April it was gone and there was NOT any drastic changes in water level or temps. Hopefully it will make a comeback soon.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    What year was that in?
    Mid to early nineties best I remember

15. Member
    This might be controversial but I think DNR might be better served restoring the grass rather than fighting the carp. Of course would be good to keep subsidizing the commercial fishermen to keep the pop down but just getting rid of the carp is not going to replace the bass. Was on pickwick last week and they had the same high currents at the same time as Kentucky.Lots of grass there now. I would guess current speeds would be higher on pickwick than Kentucky because of the bank structure and more riverine environment....jmo

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallmouthguy View Post
    This might be controversial but I think DNR might be better served restoring the grass rather than fighting the carp. Of course would be good to keep subsidizing the commercial fishermen to keep the pop down but just getting rid of the carp is not going to replace the bass. Was on pickwick last week and they had the same high currents at the same time as Kentucky.Lots of grass there now. I would guess current speeds would be higher on pickwick than Kentucky because of the bank structure and more riverine environment....jmo
    Keep in mind that just 30 miles makes a world of difference in water temperatures, that's one reason why you can have grass on the south end of KY Lake around Paris and then nothing at all on the north end with the temperature differences. Pickwick Dam is three times that distance (90 miles) south of Paris, which is a huge factor. Trying to compare grass on Pickwick to what you find on KY Lake at Paris and northward is not a fair comparison.

We just can't get any favorable weather patterns on back to back years....in recent years it's from one extreme to the other. https://www.weather.gov/pah/PaducahSeasonalRecords

17. Banned
    The flood of 2010 and the flood of 2011 was what wiped it all out, not so much the current but the depth of muddy water.

You can't put 10+ extra feet of muddy water on top of the grass and expect it to live, especially at the time of year when it needs sunlight the most.

There was a lot of grass on the south part of the lake (Paris south)in 2014 and 2015. I was catching fish with a frog in matted grass then. Gone by April of 2016. There was not any high water or cold snaps during the spring of 2016.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Keep in mind that just 30 miles makes a world of difference in water temperatures, that's one reason why you can have grass on the south end of KY Lake around Paris and then nothing at all on the north end with the temperature differences. Pickwick Dam is three times that distance (90 miles) south of Paris, which is a huge factor. Trying to compare grass on Pickwick to what you find on KY Lake at Paris and northward is not a fair comparison.

We just can't get any favorable weather patterns on back to back years....in recent years it's from one extreme to the other. https://www.weather.gov/pah/PaducahSeasonalRecords
    I don’t know if I agree with the water temp theory. I have fished lakes 2-300 miles north of here that were choked with milfoil granted not riverine but reservoir environment. My experience pickwick runs 2-3* highr
    er than Kentucky at any given time. The northern lakes 6-10 * cooler. It’s a very complex environment with temp ,current, water clarity,temp and fertility playing rolls. I am not even sure how it reproduces. Lots of strings of milfoil floating down river last week on pickwick. Surely plays. Roll in reproducing grass downstream.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    There was a lot of grass on the south part of the lake (Paris south)in 2014 and 2015. I was catching fish with a frog in matted grass then. Gone by April of 2016. There was not any high water or cold snaps during the spring of 2016.
    True this and was post 2011 flood.