USA 198p port rod locker

Has anyone come up with a better idea to secure the rod handles in the port side rod locker on the 198p? I added some very small elastic bands to hold the rods in place. Would like something better that does not take up so much room!

2. Member
    I keep about 12 rods in that compartment. I don't have any issues with the rods staying in place.

Are yours bouncing around in there?

Quote Originally Posted by lineman42 View Post
    Has anyone come up with a better idea to secure the rod handles in the port side rod locker on the 198p? I added some very small elastic bands to hold the rods in place. Would like something better that does not take up so much room!
    Yeah, I don't put any rods in there most of the time. It's all tackle. I fish alone alot and to balance the boat better when at high speeds i try keep rods in the center and all of my tackle in there and as much heavy stuff that I can towards the back for speed, when its rough I shift some of the heavy stuff to the front of that hatch handle the rough water better.

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I've seen a setup where the guy took the antlers out and filled the space with small sections of pool noodles glued together. The handles go in the holes of the pool noodles.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax