Troll motor issue

I have a Motor-guide Digital Tour Pro trolling motor. For the last year or so, at random times, when I would press the push button on the foot pedal, nothing would happen as if it was dead. I would reach down and toggle the power switch on the foot pedal to off and then back on and it would have power again and I would keep fishing.

At my last tournament, it happened again. I went through my normal process- turn the power switch on the foot pedal to off and then flip it back on, however, this time it still was dead. I haven't been able to get it powered back up since.

1. I took the top off and all my wires are connected.
    2. I checked and it appears that I have voltage coming from the batteries to the unit.
    3. I took my lower unit apart, and the braided copper wire connected to one of my brushes was frayed pretty bad. It also looked like my brushes were not in the brush holders. I kinda thought the fray in the copper wire was maybe causing a poor connection. and power loss.

Do you have any recommendations for me?

Thank you

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    If the brushes are not in their holders it won't run. Could they have came out when your took it apart? The first thing I would have looked at is the switch itself that you step on. Welcome to BBC, we have a trolling motor section here, just scroll down. That would be a better place to post this.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

3. Member
    Ok thank you! I’m enjoying the page!