Thrust washer question

I have a 2004 225 HPDI VMAX and for some reason I am eating up the thrust washer. I had my local mechanic replace my prop shaft seal this spring and ever since my thrust washer is wearing away. It’s like the washer doesn’t spin with the prop so the prop rubs on it and wears it down. As I wear then my prop gets loose. I tighten it but now so much has worn away that the prop is rubbing on the housing. I am on the second washer now. Does anyone have any idea as to what is causing this all of a sudden?

Thanks!

2. Member
    The thrust washer, prop, and propshaft should all spin as one unit with everything tightened properly unless the propshaft or thrust washer is out of spec or the hub is spun on the prop. When you remove the prop can you pull the thrust washer off by hand? They are usually so tight on there you have to smack them with a hammer to get them off.

3. Member
    I agree the thrust washer should spin with the prop but I don’t believe mine is. I do have to give it a pop with something to get it to come off though.

4. Member
    It has to be spinning. Is it the 2 piece thrust washer?

5. Member
    No. It's just the one piece.

6. Member
    Is it a Yamaha prop and thrust washer or another brand? If Yamaha, you need the two piece washer.

What prop are you running?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

8. Member
    It sounds like your thrust washer is bearing against or bottoming out on the shaft housing (which does not spin), thus the thrust bearing isn't spinning and it's wearing against the spinning prop and shaft. This will further wear other unintended parts. I'd get it to a dealer or a knowledgeable person to have a good visual look and inspection of the worn parts fully disassembled, possible lower unit parts, that may need replacing or service. Also, put a mic or calipers on the washer thru hole diameter and the shaft diameter to find out where it's landing out likely. I'd bet the thrust washer is stretched, or the shaft is too small, to keep the thrust washer from sliding on too far when everything's buttoned down properly.

9. Member
    It is a 25M Yamaha prop. It was the same thrust washer that has been on it for years. Just all of the sudden since the prop shaft seal was replaced has this started. I plan to take it in this Saturday to the dealer who did my work on the seals and see what they say. I was told that they may not of got all the shims put back in when they took out the bearing carrier assembly.

10. Member
    I have always ran the 1 piece brass thrust washer without any problems since 05 on my 1st 3.3L HPDI and have the same one on my 09 3.3L with a 25 T1. I know they made a SS one as well or it was nickel plated I believe but still a 1 piece design.
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

11. Member
    If it is the same thrust washer, it is probably just worn out. I assumed it had been changed since you had been dealing with this issue. Just get another thrust washer. They are brass and will stretch and wear. Especially if the prop
    was ever not tightened enough.

I had a thrust washer made out of a harder brass per Mark Croxton's suggestion of the factory ones being to soft. We took the 2pc washer and mocked it up but made it a 1pc overall. Works well.
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    If it is the same thrust washer, it is probably just worn out. I assumed it had been changed since you had been dealing with this issue. Just get another thrust washer. They are brass and will stretch and wear. Especially if the prop
    was ever not tightened enough.
    I have gone through two of them now. The original one and a new one. Something is not right for it to all of a sudden start doing this. Like I said it never did this until after the prop shaft seal was replaced.