Battery problem?

I have a couple questions. First, I'm getting some spray or mist of battery acid from my trolling batteries venting in my bilge. I've never seen it and I've always noticed these batteries vent constantly, you can hear them all the time whether being charged or used. Doesn't seem normal but what do y'all say? I washed everything today when I noticed it and nothing looks to be getting ate up so it just happened very recently. So that brings up the next questions. Is there a good 29 series agm or sealed battery for trolling? My current flooded batteries are 27s and last without issue but I would like the little extra of the 29s. One more question, in a 36v system would y'all think 50ah lithiums would be plenty if the 27s are?

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Possibly your charger (or alternator-charge sharing device if present) has failed and is severely overcharging (over-voltage) your batteries.

Or they have been filled with the wrong electrolyte concentration.

Or perhaps you simply are over watering.

Normally the gassing is brief occurring toward the end of of the charging cycle just before the charger indicates full charge has been reached.

3. Member
    I bet I over filled them. The charger is good and I've checked them the day after and the voltage is good. They cant be much over full though, I didn't fill them all the way up. Just to the bottom of the vent tubes. But, it seems I remember them always doing it even before I added water. I also add distilled water, not tap water. I've never seen batteries do this.

4. Member
    What brand batteries are they?

My Everstart 29's never did that. Never had to add water to em either.

I went with 2-50Ah Battleborns for my Ultrex 80# and couldn't be happier.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    They are continental. I've never had batteries do it either.

6. Member
    I run 2 group 31 Duracell AGM from Sams (rebadged Deka). They do a great job, no gassing and no corrosion on the terminals. Will never go back to a regular wet battery, just make sure you have a quality charger.

7. Member
    I run the Duracell as a starting battery but I dont need that much for trolling and they weigh a ton. I haven't made my mind up yet about going lithium or not. My big fear with lithium is getting to small of a battery system and I'm not paying the price for 100ah setups. I've got a dual pro charger so no worries about the charger

8. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    My big fear with lithium is getting to small of a battery system and I'm not paying the price for 100ah setups.
    Hopefully will not be too long of a wait.

Many of the makers of present marine lithium batteries can not make lithium cells nor have any ownership in the factories that do. They must buy their lithium cells from the large manufacturers.

A boater's cost for the needed larger capacity batteries such as 100AHs will surely come significantly down once any of the more known big players in lithium cells choose to begin making full batteries entering the marine battery market

The numerous small volume startups that have only been recently created only assembling the cells into a case and selling he result as their lithium battery will surely have great difficulties trying to compete with lower cost and much high volume true battery makers that own, build and operate their lithium cell production plants.

Rather than have a phone number from a friend who got a phone number of someone repping lithiums, perhaps we will be able to simply purchase a nationally recognized battery found off the shelf locally from one of our many retail outlets or same day delivery from Amazon.com.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-13-2018 at 10:44 PM.

9. Member
    Just knock the size back and get a group 24 or 27.... I have ran the Everstart 24 AGM which is actually a automotive battery but just didn't have enough RC (145) for me and around 50lbs per battery and 3 year replacement .....
    I run the Duracell as a starting battery but I dont need that much for trolling and they weigh a ton. I haven't made my mind up yet about going lithium or not. My big fear with lithium is getting to small of a battery system and I'm not paying the price for 100ah setups. I've got a dual pro charger so no worries about the charger

10. Member
    I run the Duracell as a starting battery but I dont need that much for trolling and they weigh a ton. I haven't made my mind up yet about going lithium or not. My big fear with lithium is getting to small of a battery system and I'm not paying the price for 100ah setups. I've got a Dual Pro Charger so no worries about the charger
    Is your Dual Pro Charger a Pro Series or a Recreational Series?

I have only heard great things about the Pro Series models but the Recreational Series are not as highly thought of.

My 18 month old Rec Series lost a bank so I had to send it in to get a new one.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDozer66 View Post
    Is your Dual Pro Charger a Pro Series or a Recreational Series?

I have only heard great things about the Pro Series models but the Recreational Series are not as highly thought of.

My 18 month old Rec Series lost a bank so I had to send it in to get a new one.
    It's the sportsman series.

12. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    buy AGM's or Lithiums from Danny Roberts from Stealth 1
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P