Lower Gear Oil Leak?

Pro XS 200
    Noticed a small amount of oil in the garage yesterday. Pulled the cover and noticed a light coat of what looks like lower gear oil on the bottom of the compartment and on the lower part of the engine. I had my yearly service done at bass pro just a month ago. I looked around and didn’t notice any leaks but did find this cap laying in the bottom of the engine compartment. Is this the culprit?
    not sure of my serial number, but here is a pic of the sticker.

2. Banned
    You won't have lower unit gear oil at the bottom of the motor.
    It has to be injector oil leaking somewhere.
    That might be a cap from the air or fuel rail.

3. Member
    Where can I check to see if it is injector oil?

4. Banned
    There's numerous oil lines and fittings on the motor, you just have to track it down.

5. Member
    There’s your problem you went to BPS. Don’t go there..
    2015 189 trx

6. Member
    Look at the top of your fuel rails. You will see a schrader valve like the one on your bike. One of them is missing that cap. Not an issue if it is missing the cap. Just put it back on.

Oil in the coling it not lower unit oil. The oil is probably from your oil pump which is a cylindrical silver pump located on the front - lower and starboard side of your engine. You will see with a flashlight that there are numerous hoses attached to one side. This usually lasts about 400 hours before a rubber seal ring starts to leak. There are many posts about this and recently too. There are I think 3 hex bolts on the front of it that I crimped down a little tighter and stopped the leak for about a year but eventually you will need to change it out. You will have to be the judge when because it is a crucial part obviously. Most mechanics will tell you to change it if it is leaking, period. No gray area.

Don't know how old your engine is and how many hours but it can also be one of your oil hoses leaking too.

7. Member
    2013 with 240 hours.

8. Member
    I wish they would sell the o-ring in the pump. I tried to replace it once but the ring I had was too big in diameter. The oil pump rarely goes out. It just leaks through that ring. Well you will have to carefully clean everything out and see where it is leaking from. If you look at the oil pump directly like you were sitting in the boat and looking at it direct, you will see a stream coming from the bottom of the circular pump by the right bottom screw area. if you see that then you have a leaking oil pump. It is odd that it is leaking this early in the game but I have no idea how long mine was leaking before I noticed it. But one thing that is different is that i did not have oil on the bottom of my garage. Yours appears to be leaking pretty good compared to mine. But hard to say. you really need to do some detective work to see if possibly you have two issues.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info with your post. Thanks!

Serial number should be printed on a label, affixed to the STB side of the swivel bracket.

Pictured is definitely a Schrader valve cap- from either the top of the STB side rail, or the face of the PORT side rail.

Unlikely that this is directly related to the oil leak (might leak fuel, but not oil).

If there is an oil droplet on the bottom allen-head bolt of the oil pump, it is more than likely a leak at the pump itself.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Since that cap was down in the cowl and I took it out twice, could it have caused any issues?

11. Member
    Make sure the cap is clean INSIDE before reinstalling. Cap caused no issues.

12. Member
    Thanks. Bass Pro just called back and said g d oil pump. $700