Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

St Johns River report

Whats the latest going on the upper St Johns River?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

2. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Floody, muddy mess for the most part, here around Debary.. Prolly be Oct/Nov before it's back to anything resembling normal pool and that's barring any tropical systems coming though..

3. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Just incase anyone was wondering.. Pic of the Monroe "free" ramp this morning. (Aug 21, 2018) All from summer rains/afternoon thunderstorms.. Thank god no tropical systems, so far, since Irma..

4. Member
    Whoa man. That is some high water. Is it that high throughout the rest of the river chain? Specifically up to the Palatka area?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

www.kgfishing.com

5. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Seminole/Volusia seems to be a choke point. Always worse, for longer, in this area.. But someone closer to Palatka will need to chime in, as Im just speculating.

6. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    water is higher than normal all the way to JAX. not very clean either. even the incoming tide is silty. damn shame theres no grass left in the river to filter it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    Seminole/Volusia seems to be a choke point. Always worse, for longer, in this area.. But someone closer to Palatka will need to chime in, as Im just speculating.
    Fished a tournament Welaka Saturday, Water is up but not that high, real strong current when tide is moving. Water was 88 to 89 degrees in the main river , 95.4 in the barge canal. First place had just under 21lbs, second was 14 third was 12 +.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

8. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Checked on the free ramp at Monroe again this morning.. Waters dropped a bit, but still flooded and closed. You can at least see the walk way out to the docks now.. Current is rippin' under the bridge, probably on the entire river.. Highbanks is open and had 2-3 trailers there. Probably take an exploratory trip in a week or two and see what's what.. (That's if none of these tropical storms/hurricanes set us back)

Monroe Sept. 6th, 2018..

9. Member
    Good info Mickstix

www.kgfishing.com

10. Member
    Wife and I took our grandsons out fishing on the River from Deland this week for Bluegills.

4 Hours of water time and most of it fishing and ONE Fish bite. Dang that is sad.

Oh but did see 2 Poison Spray Boats out spraying the pads. Wife who doesn't fish much said "what are they doing that for?". On the way back to the Ramp we rode through where they were spraying and you could smell the Poison in the air and on the water. Nasty.

11. Member
    You got that right, it is sad. Last weekend I went all way down to Lake Winder, the two of us fished til 12:30 for a total of one bass. And thats not the worse part, went all over that lake and on the way back covered all of Poinsett, every bit of Bulrush on both lakes have been totally nuked and now are all dead. That was the only vegetation left after decades of overspraying and now that is gone. I would love to take a bat to their faces when they sit there and spew the crap that they only spray evasive species. They should be locked up for what they have done to our fisheries.

12. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Yep, come hell or high water the poison must be sprayed!! I was out Monday and the river didn't look too bad actually. Just high water and swift current.. There was a bit of vegetation if you looked really hard. But this was south of Deland so they're probably sizing it up as we speak..

13. Member
    When you are on a lake, river, pond and you see spray boats spraying native plants, take pictures of the activity and later if these native plants are brown or dead, take pictures of the dying plants and send them to your local tv station or newspaper and ask them to investigate. Killing native plants is wiping away the natural filters of our lakes and rivers polluting the environment down stream. Tell the news source you send the pictures for their benefit to investigate because they are always complaining about the environment and now it is time for them to do something, rather than whine about it.

If large numbers of fisherman complain to the news, maybe they will help the fisherman get something done about it.

14. Member
    I was talking with the Dept Manager at the Sporting Goods Dept at the DeLand Walmart and he told me that the local Guides are no longer taking their Clients to the River to fish. Pretty bad considering their Fish Camp is right on it. Instead they are going to one of the local lakes.

He also said that the Weekly Wednesday Night Tournament that is held out of the Ramp on Rt 44 is longer being held there. They also are now going to that same small lake. Their reason was that if a Guy brought 1 Fish in to weigh he was winning for that night.

That Manager I know personally and he was raised there in DeLand and knows all those guides and guys that fish that area. I have no reason not to believe him.

15. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    He was tellin the truth. Unfortunately for that little lake though, it's already showing signs of the added pressure.. If the water keeps dropping I'll be back on the river pretty regular. Haven't ventured back to the lake yet, but it looked pretty good last time I was on it as well. Problem there is the muck. It was everywhere grass used to be.. Pads and water (though high) looked pretty good. Wish they'd scrape that sucker down to the sand in a few key areas.. Pipe dreams.

16. Member
    I figured he was. I used to fish that lake every so often. Fishing was never great but you could get a few and a nice one now and then.

Lately it has been looking like it has been beat up. The water has a muddy look to it and it used to be mostly clean. I've seen the small parking area that used to have 1-2 other boats besides me so full there was no parking and even the grass area behind the restroom building was packed.

Oh and from what I've seen either they are fishing it out or the fish have had so much pressure they don't bite much anymore.

17. Member
    Headed to the St Johns next week, anyone know how the water looks near Palatka?

18. Member
    Fishin the federation?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer. View Post
    Fishin the federation?
    I am. Wanted to show up a few days prior to the tournament to get some practice in but work won't allow it. So unfortunately I get to make the trip twice and practice next weekend and hope I can put something together.

20. Member
    North river has been constant all year. Open txs take about 25 to win.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast