Thread: Gas vapor smell

Gas vapor smell

I've got a Z6 Nitro that has a strong gasoline small inside the compartments. I leave the lids propped open when in the garage but can't seem to tell where it's coming from. I've looked at all the hoses and vent line but nothing seem to be leaking. Thoughts?

Depending on the year model boats have Vapor purge valve it's probably not working properly. Need to get that checked out by dealer

3. Member
    My 2008 Stratos does the same thing, the smell leaches out thru the plastic fuel tank, only thing you can do is leave the boxes cracked open.

If you can see your fuel tank and it looks like off white plastic or nylon, it's more than likely gas permeable and will always have a vaporing off of fumes. I would love to know if there was a place to get a price on an aluminum welded tank. Mine holds 54 gal.

5. Member
    I had this problem and it was a corroded fill line, right in the curve before it went in the tank, it came out like an accordion. Solved my problem, before that I was experiencing the exact same issue.

Also when trying to solve the issue, I suspected the tank and aluminum would have to be custom made at about $1300, too much for me.

I have never believed the permeable fuel cell stuff. Sure there is some but not enough to notice. Check all your fittings on the tank and lines. It does not take much fuel to create strong odors and it is dangerous. Find it and fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I have never believed the permeable fuel cell stuff. Sure there is some but not enough to notice. Check all your fittings on the tank and lines. It does not take much fuel to create strong odors and it is dangerous. Find it and fix it.
    I have taken my boat apart exposing the tank completely looking for an explanation of why it would belch back gas when filling, covered my shirt and face one time. It was immediately apparent when exposing the tank and observing the fuel delivery and vent hose arrangement. I shortened the fuel and vent lines to eliminate a sag in both lines that had a potential of holding fuel like a trap in a sink. You put the fuel in the same place there is a shielded vent. When that vent line would get fuel in it sufficiently enough to create a back pressure in the tank it would force the fuel in the vent line right out in your face. Eliminating the trap effect stopped that. But even the factory and other vendors have said the tanks are vapor permeable and best thing is to open the hatches. I'm still not happy though.

8. Member
    My old Triton had same problem...

9. Member
    We sell a lot of V-T2's to anglers for their back compartments. The V-T2's do a great job in ventilating fresh air in and the fumes out.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I don't have the gas fume problem, but that sounds like a great idea! Then I could close and latch the back compartment while charging the batteries on the road.......Love them on my livewells!

11. Member
    I had gas smell for 2 years finally found a small crack in the anti spitback valve on fill hose. Only had gas in it when filling tank. Never saw gas in bilge .

12. Member
    Check the gasket on the fuel gauge sending unit. Mine had dried & developed small cracks. The problem stopped when I replaced it.

13. Joe4d
    Buy an oz of gas leak detector.. add it to fuel,, run boat a couple hours,,, Go out at night with a black light,,, VOILIA ! leak found

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    My 2008 Stratos does the same thing, the smell leaches out thru the plastic fuel tank, only thing you can do is leave the boxes cracked open.
    Same with my 2011 Stratos.
    You would swear it's leaking, but it's not.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    Check the gasket on the fuel gauge sending unit. Mine had dried & developed small cracks. The problem stopped when I replaced it.
    I just replaced the gasket on mine and it helped but I’m not sure that the problem is completely fixed. The only place I notice the smell is in my cooler of all places.

I believe they are made to vent that way.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

17. Member
    I owned 1 procraft and 2 Triton's all 3 had plastic gas tanks and all 3 had that problem, no leak but had the strong smell. My 2 Phoenix boats have aluminum gas tanks and no smell.