Thread: Underspin?

Underspin?

Been throwing it off and on for a couple of years. My main question is wondering how much difference there really is between the belly weighted hook such as a owner flashy swimmer compared to an actual head with the blade as well like the Picasso or others. Obviously the flashy swimmer is more weedless but overall just wondering if it really affects catch rate at all running the head versus not as they are about double the price.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    I like to think there is . yes the flashy is weedless but what ive found here on the east Texas lakes is during the summer they really seem to like the belly weighted type .
    really im at a loss to explain why maybe it wobbles a little different , could be its shape for whatever reason is more appealing again im not sure but for me in the hotter weather it does produce more .
    Now the head type under spins ( i love em ) like the Picasso , revenge eco tungsten and strike king tour grade ive found really shine for me when the water really starts to cool off.
    one thing i have noticed is that the bait fish and bass seem to be grouped tighter in the winter on the structure where i fish and the under spins mentioned earlier fall head first and the bigger bass seem to be lazy looking for the easiest meal and this hands down catches em .
    Summer ,Fall and Winter im a structure fisherman love deepwater humps , points deeper creek turns etc.
    im not a pro or even a guide just really enjoy fishing underspins , hope this helps .

3. Banned
    My luck came w/the StrikeKing one with the head. I used the Gambler™ Duz-It and haven't caught squat and the blade gets fouled up way more than running true, it sticks.

StrikeKing™ runs like a Champ and a great hook is used.

4. Member
    Well I use the belly weighted flashy swimmer in the summer more. They can be fished more aggressively and won't turn over or roll. I literally will fish it like a swim jig. Up under docks, into weeds, etc. Seems to really produce good fish.

In the winter I like the traditional under spins. They run deeper, you have to fish them a lot slower so they don't roll.

S

5. Member
    Bellyweight will shimmy differently than a jighead and each jighead will shimmy differently due to being a different shape. If the fish are being picky at all the changes in action between each underspin can be the differences between catching and not. Earlier in the year I was absolutely slaying fish on a 5" paddle tail with a basstrix underspin. My partner started throwing a different 5" swimbait on a same weight picasso head. No bites. Gave him a swimbait, still no bites, gave him a head, fish all day.

6. Banned
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stri...age-SKSAL.html Citrus Shad
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Not that it's right but I've always used them in completely different areas, flashy swimmer like a swimjig around weeds and cover and underspin jig for open water schooling fish, around bridge pilings etc. For what it's worth I've had my best luck with the big Road Runners or the Jewel banana heads (which I just tried).

8. Banned
    From my experience the belly weighted under spins are better in shallow water or when fishing cover. The jighead style is better in open water or deeper water. Some brands will roll if you fish them to fast but there are some that will not unless your "burn" them.

VMC will roll. Coolbaits and ecopro are pretty good about NOT rolling.

The only thing I don't like about the belly weighted style is that the weights are relatively light per hook size so in order to maintain bottom contact you are forced to work the bait slow. The jighead style gives you a little flexibility with this issue.

Just depends on the situation I suppose.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I believe as well that the traditional underspin head is meant to be used as a search bait covering open water and the belly waited hook style is more of a point and shoot to where the fish are holding.

I ordered some of the Royco underspin heads since they’re a sponsor here and they all come in heavier sizes, which doesn’t lend them self to being used in the shallow Florida waters. I throw them with a 5” swimbait whenever I’m locating schoolers in deeper waters.

I know my definition of deep, in Florida, is much different than other parts of the country but I use the traditional underspin style in water over 10’.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV