Please help an old Texan with a spot to fish for a few days, second week of Sept.

We are lucky and live in Texas for 6 months, and TN. the other 6. We are in TN. right now.
    My wife is having her golfing girlfriends from TX come to visit around Sept 6 or so. Right after Labor Day.

I am getting out of town!!! We have a small place and 3 women and I won't fit. (my choice)
    I am thinking of fishing someplace I can drive to in one day. Looks like middle Michigan would be about 9/10 hours from Knoxville, TN.

I enjoy Northerns; Muskies, LM and SM Bass. Any suggestions? I will be hauling my 1652 G3 tinny. She can go very shallow but isn't suited for big water. I'm 78, in pretty good shape, and have been fishing forever. I launch and load by myself 3 to 4 times a week now. I like to grind and cast, as opposed to deep, slow fishing. I have no interest in trolling unless totally necessary. Not much interest in Walleyes, either.

I don't have to kill any big ones (though it would always be nice) but just want to keep busy for a few days.
    I probably would be happiest with a small motel/cabin on some small water where I can safely keep my boat and maybe launch very close by.

I'd take a guide for a half day, but I usually like to find my own fish. ( or not!)

Any and all help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

p.s. if any of you guys get to Chickamauga in TN., Sam Rayburn in TX or Galveston Texas for saltwater reds and specks, I can probably help you find a fish or two.

Thank you, richg99

2. Member
    The Titabawassee chain might be right up your wheel house....It is Middle Michigan, There are 4 Lakes fairly close together along the chain....and they fish alot like a southern reservoir.. They have a good mix of species also....Check out Sanford, Wixom, smallwood and Secord lakes North of Midland Michigan...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

3. Member
    I love Sanford/Wixom/Secord lakes, if you have time I suggest fishing Lancer, it's a blast of a lake with a ton of fish to be caught.

Completely agree with all the above. Great recommendations. I was on Lancer yesterday for the first time in a long time, and I will be going back soon!

5. Member
    Northern Kent county and Montcalm county are loaded with good fishing and a ton of great lakes. I live in Greenville and it's a quiet town no worries about your boat everything you need there and with in 20 minutes of 10 or so good lakes.

Drive 2 more hours and be in Northern MI. You won't regret it. You can find a lot of good info on here for those northern MI lakes.

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

Well how was the trip ?

"I'm just looking for a bite"

8. Member
    Ha Ha..re the trip. I got lucky. First, the destination was/is going to be Lake St. Clair. A few weeks ago, I booked a room for the 9th/10/11th at Anglers Point Marina.

Then...there was this small hurricane/ tropical storm that came ashore in Louisiana early last week. My wife's girlfriends would have had to drive right through that storm, so they changed their visit dates to the 23rd of this month.

I changed my trip date(s) to the 23rd of this month.

Had I continued and arrived at LSC this last weekend, I was told that the winds were in the high 20's and fishing was greatly hampered.

So....I dodged a bullet weatherwise on my original dates. Now we have this other hurricane coming soon. We are, here in TN., about 500 miles inland from the NC/SC coast. If all goes well, Florence will hit and be gone by the time I drive to LSC. Sure hope so. I am looking forward to the trip.

More to come...I hope!
    regards, richg99

9. Member
    Today Is the first day that the sun is out.
    Grand Pointe Marina Pro-Staff
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro Package
    250 PRO XS Mercury 4 Stroke
    Precision Sonar
    Nitro Boats

I'd like to make a trip up there one day.

"I'm just looking for a bite"