Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shimano Reel Choice?

I'm wanting to buy my wife a rod/reel combo for a gift. We dont nesecarially have his and hers combos but I want to get her a new one just for her. We both have Metanium MGL's, she has a couple of Chronarch Ci4 and Curado 70, I have a Chronarch MGL, amongst other Shimano models Curado E and up. Even though our "name" is on a real it's free for whoever needs it at the time. That being said I want to treat her with her own personal combo that we wont share. She absolutely loves her Curado 70 and Ci4 Chronarch, and Met MGL. For some reason she won't accept the fact that my Chronarch MGL is better than her Ci4 even though she has a Met MGL (weird I know). Anyway I want to get her a new combo. Now there's the new Bantam, I know she'd love the Chronarch MGL once she used it, but her favorite is the Curado 70. She has small hands being 5'3" so that's why she favors the 70 and E series although she can handle the others. Her main baits are 1/2oz and less jigs, Senkos, Ned, shakey and Flukes. I'm torn what to get her. I want something higher end and because she likes the 70 I'm thinking Aldeberan but we're on Table Rock and Bull Shoals with deeper water. So that leaves Chronarch MGL, Met MGL (she has), or the new Bantam. What say you guys? Planning on complementing it with a NRX probably 853.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 08-10-2018 at 10:47 PM.

2. Member
    My vote is the Metanium MGL paired with an NRX 853! Very nice paired with each other I have two setups

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave75 View Post
    My vote is the Metanium MGL paired with an NRX 853! Very nice paired with each other I have two setups
    Kind of leaning that was as we have two Mets but because she loves the Curado 70 I was curious about the Aldebaran but its capacity is less and our lakes are deep. Curious about the new Bantum though.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 08-11-2018 at 05:09 AM.

4. Member
    Do you have any openings for a second “wife”? ��

All jokes aside, go for the metanium.

5. Banned
    09Aldebaran. You can find them mint. Make it something that not many other people may be fishing with.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    My vote is for the Aldebaran 50.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Personally I would avoid Aldebaren 50 and if she loves the CU70 that much I'd go there! That and the 853 jwr GLX would make an awesome combo! Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Personally I would avoid Aldebaren 50 and if she loves the CU70 that much I'd go there! That and the 853 jwr GLX would make an awesome combo! Dan
    Just ordered a NRX 853. Why avoid the Aldebaran?

9. Member
    I’ve had curado 70 and aldebaran.... I still have the curado 70’s and sold the aldebarans. For me at least, the alde’s were not as comfortable and didn’t cast as well as the 70’s. That’s just my experience. I never broke the alde’s down to clean bearings or anything like that to try and improve performance. For me, they just weren’t comfortable and I have smaller hands.

You can can also go JDM version of the curado 70. I have two of them and like them.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    I’ve had curado 70 and aldebaran.... I still have the curado 70’s and sold the aldebarans. For me at least, the alde’s were not as comfortable and didn’t cast as well as the 70’s. That’s just my experience. I never broke the alde’s down to clean bearings or anything like that to try and improve performance. For me, they just weren’t comfortable and I have smaller hands.

You can can also go JDM version of the curado 70. I have two of them and like them.
    Would that be the Scorpion 70?

11. Member
    yes the JDM version of the Curado 70/71 is the Scorpion 70/71 but in black instead of the gray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Would that be the Scorpion 70?
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

12. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

I've got 10 of them and love em. My only complaint is with 15# fluorocarbon the line capacity isn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Why avoid the Aldebaran?

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Very specific, finessie reel. IMHO not an all around reel. Price and soft drag issues just to name two. This reel was suppose to be a replacement for Core 50, doesn't even come close.....Dan

14. Member
    Curado K?? Boy, are they smooth. At least my 8.5:1s are. 10% smaller than the Curado I.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HalBrown View Post
    Curado K?? Boy, are they smooth. At least my 8.5:1s are. 10% smaller than the Curado I.
    I've got a Curado K that's my Wiggle Wart/ Rock Krawler paired with the Curado crankbait rod, I added two bearings to the handles and one on the worm gear. Great reel but I'm wanting to treat her to something high end although she already has Chronarchs and a Metanium.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Very specific, finessie reel. IMHO not an all around reel. Price and soft drag issues just to name two. This reel was suppose to be a replacement for Core 50, doesn't even come close.....Dan
    Would you say the same about the ne MGL 50?

Yup

The Bantam is about the same weight as the Curado K. I can definitely feel the difference between the K and the 70. Going from something light to something heavier is something to consider.

19. Member
    Well I found a Curado E7 we've had in the box that hasn't been used much at all, I may take her Met MGL off the Cara that it's on and put it on the NRX and the E7 will go on the Cara. Still trying to decide but between my Chronarch MGL and Met MGL there isn't a huge difference especially considering the difference in price, that Chronarch is sweet.

The Aldebaran MGL feels and fishes great on the 3 power NRX rods, and the 2 power rods. The NRX 853 really feels at home with 12# line and a 1/4 oz T-rig or a 3/8 jig - much more and it's stressed. If you get up to 15# line and are trying to make extremely long casts, then the Aldebaran MGL will have an issue. Sticking in the comfort zone of the rod and it's best feel, there's nothing wrong with the Aldebaran at all. The Metanium is a good option too if you want to stay light and up the line capacity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast