Hoping for a quick fix

I know the easiest thing would be to get it a service center. Problem is I am on a week long fishing trip and away from my home with small set of tools. Hoping for anything simple that I can try to get me through the week.
    2004 Mercury Optimax 225
    Serial OT833715
    Replace water pump impeller
    Resealed lower unit
    Prior to making this trip
    Motor was run on ears before leaving with no issues
    Launched boat with no issues. The ramp water was bad with Duck weed and junk on the surface (could have sucked something up). Half way to the cabin which is about 1/2 mile of idle zone I get the 4 beeps. Screen shows bell, cel sign and oil sign. I have in the past had an issue with alarm after a long idle but once you bump up rpms a bit it goes away. I figured this was the issue. Once out of idle zone I throttle up to bring boat up on plane and at about 3,000 rpms I get the single beep. I immediately let off throttle rpms drop below 3000 and I get the 4 beeps. Water psi at idle is 3.2 at 1000 rpms and 5.7 at 1500 rpms with a strong water stream.

Next day I tried again and same thing. Four beeps every so often and single beep if taken above 3000 rpms.

The only thing I have tried is topping off bilge oil tank and even though the under cowl tank looked full I did the procedure for bleeding off the air with no change.

Just looking for something easy to look for to get me through the week. Thanks for any and all help you can provide.
    2004 Ranger 520VX Comanche SOLD
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP

2. Member
    I would park it until you have the faults read.

Click on this >>>>"My warning horn went "Beep".... or "Beep Beep Beep Beep""

3. Member
    Thanks for your input Savage.
    Yeah I have read that and every other thing even remotely related for the last two days. Was just hoping for something simple that I missed.
    Thanks again.
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine mounted oil tank 100% full with absolutely no air space?

If it is even slightly low it must be BLED.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Engine mounted oil tank 100% full with absolutely no air space?

If it is even slightly low it must be BLED.
    I have bled to overflowing three times. I can still see the slightest air pocket up by the fill hole. Is this enough to set off sensor?
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP

6. Member
    Found a Marina on the lake that shows being Mercury outboard certified. No idea if they are good or bad but don't think they see much traffic. I asked if they were able to pull codes and was told no problem. Technician brings out a computer then after looking at ECM plug says he needs the other computer. Second computer is brought out and hooked up. Technician references the fact that it is taking a long time to download numerous times. We shoot the breeze and he tries his best to convince me I need a Polar Kraft with a 4 stroke. After about 10 minutes he says I don't know what to say I can't get it to download codes so back to square one.

Guess I'll be looking for a shop when I get back home. All the ones I have used in the past have either gone under or changed hands. Thanks for the help.
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP

7. Member
    For anyone if any that care or ever have the same problem. When I got home I jumper wired across the plug to the saddle oil tank sending unit and no more alarms. So looks like I'll be replacing the tank. Again thanks for the help.
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP

Thanks for the update! I learn a lot by reading posts in this forum.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If that's what happened, then yes, you will need to replace the oil tank, and then have an Oil Pump Prime sequence done on the Computer Diagnostic System.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Thanks Mr. Weed for the heads up on the Pump Prime sequence, that I didn't know. Ordered my tank and everything to do my fuel lines from Rhonda today. Thanks for the BBC discount also.
    2016 Phoenix 921 Pro XP