Mercury Black Max 200

I have a 175hp Mercury 1981 on a Ranger 375V and found a 1990 200hp Black Max for a good price. Will the controls hook up from the 175hp or will I need a different control set up? Is there a way that I can check compression on it without controls as it is not on a boa a the resent time, Owner said it was running when taken off. Fr the price I think I could part it out and not loose any money either way.

Controls should work probably. You can get a starter test button to hook up for testing pretty easy.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required info when posting. Thanks!

Make sure both are the same SHAFT LENGTH (very important).

Controls should work, though the type used back in that vintage are quite sloppy by today's standards. Probably be wise to upgrade to something a little newer, with new cables.

Compression testing is best done with the engine warm, which would require at least minimal rigging:

Compression Testing

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor