Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Unhappy What did I damage?? 13 Fishing Concept A

So I was throwing a frog today at my moms old house while it was drizzling...catching 1&2 pounders on a weedless frog when I went to make a LONG cast and somehow the thumb bar wasn’t fully depressed.

There was that long gear grinding buzzing sound sound before the thumb bar clicked and the bait stopped 20-30 feet from me. The reel now has a kinda grinding sound now. I can’t replicate the thumbar not being fully pressed down whatsoever but the reel “feels” different.

Its working properly but im worried I started to strip some gears.

Do I take it apart and look or drop some oil in it and keep going?

Im not very familiar with the brand or this reel since I got it from a member about 6 weeks ago but this thing throws a weedless frog 60 yards no problem with Suffix 30lb 832 on it and frankly I love this reel!

I don’t remember the last last time I did something like this...any thoughts will be appreciated.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I did find this...https://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/...-13-concept-a/
    BUT, this guy has way too much time on his hands! I’m very mechanically inclined and I would not go to this level! If this is required she will have to go back to them for servicing! Very detailed though I have to say.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    What you basically (not intentionally) did was not disengage the pinion fully from the spool and it "forced" itself against the gears which was the noise you heard. Looking at the pictures of the reel disasembled, the main gear looks to be aluminium. Odds are you stripped your gears. You can take the handle side plate off and make sure nothing came loose or grease the gears. Not a lot can come loose under there but the pinion springs and the piece the pinion rides in could possibly just be off/out of alignment. New gear set is probably in your future. Always, always, always replace the pinion gear and main gear together. 13 fishing will have them available.

Remove your spool and put the reel in gear then reel. Now push the thumbar and turn the handle again reeling again. Do this several times then re-install the spool and try it with the spool in place. There are times when what you described happening that the pinion will go cockeyed on the ramp and wont seat correctly. Sometimes the procedure described will clear it up. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"