Question Ranger Cover Strap Digging into Gel Coat... How to Prevent???

2002 Ranger 620VS with factory cover. The strap by the windscreen that goes underneath the boat and is buckled to the other side. This strap is creating a groove in the surface of the hull. How can I prevent this???

dh

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ve seen pads that slide over the straps and can then be placed where the strap contacts the hull. Think the kind of pad that goes onto your shoulder with a carry bag of some sort. Any marine upholstery shop would have them, or could custom make them per your requirements.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    If you can't find the pads, there is a trucker trick to use. Put a twist in the strap on each side of your boat. This will keep the straps from slapping the hull at speed.

Not a popular answer around here.....but you if you pull with a cover on.....you're going to get marks on your gel coat.....period.....
    done it since the 1960s and it always happens.....no such thing as a cover that won't mark your boat.......

Quote Originally Posted by Randrat View Post
    If you can't find the pads, there is a trucker trick to use. Put a twist in the strap on each side of your boat. This will keep the straps from slapping the hull at speed.
    I will have to look for the pads. But I do put a twist in the strap so it doesn't slap the hull. It is just the small movement that is causing the damage.

dh

Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    Not a popular answer around here.....but you if you pull with a cover on.....you're going to get marks on your gel coat.....period.....
    done it since the 1960s and it always happens.....no such thing as a cover that won't mark your boat.......
    Yeah, if it wasn't for the gravel roads I have to travel on, I would not use the cover.

7. Tony C
    Get a couple car wash, fuzzy pads. The ones that slip over your hand. Just cut a small hole in the closed end, slip the strap through the pad and your good to go.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyc View Post
    Get a couple car wash, fuzzy pads. The ones that slip over your hand. Just cut a small hole in the closed end, slip the strap through the pad and your good to go.
    Smart!

I have 2 pads that came with my cover from Ranger. I am at Hot August Nights in Reno, at the moment but I can take pictures when I get home, so you can see what originals look like. They fit the bottom strap pretty good so they don't slide around, Also what Tonyc, said is good idea.
    2001 Ranger 520DVX 225 mercury

HHC 14TH ENGINEERS COMBAT HEAVY
    FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

10. Member
    I always tow my 620vs with the cover on, and never left a mark. Have made several trips to cumberland (630 mi round trip). My belly strap came with two sleeves that keep the strap from vibrating against the hull. Ranger parts or a dealer should be able to provide these.
    2015 Ranger 620vs
    2015 Mercury 250 ProXS, 9.9 Bigfoot Kicker
    24P Brovo I FS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    This is very true. First don’t cover in dry towing conditions. I use 2” blue painters tape on the gunnels full length to add a skin to the gel. This works great on long covered pulls. Apply it to all problem areas to avoid damage. Cheap and effective.

12. Member
    Car seat belt shoulder pads might do it

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy/LGF View Post
    I have 2 pads that came with my cover from Ranger. I am at Hot August Nights in Reno, at the moment but I can take pictures when I get home, so you can see what originals look like. They fit the bottom strap pretty good so they don't slide around, Also what Tonyc, said is good idea.
    I appreciate it. Any ideas I can have available will help. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer99 View Post
    I always tow my 620vs with the cover on, and never left a mark. Have made several trips to cumberland (630 mi round trip). My belly strap came with two sleeves that keep the strap from vibrating against the hull. Ranger parts or a dealer should be able to provide these.
    Ok, I will try Ranger to see what they have and how much they cost. The last few things I bought there had a 200% markup (seemingly).

15. Member
    Im surprised that you never used those sleeves that fit on the belly strap. They come with the cover. I tow with my cover a lot and never had an issue. Sometimes I see some marks on the back corners but a little bit of cleaner wax removes them.

I didn't forget about you, I got home late last night from Reno car show, and went to nightshift, today I will PM you so I can send pictures tomorrow sense at work right now

FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darleyhavidson View Post
    Ok, I will try Ranger to see what they have and how much they cost. The last few things I bought there had a 200% markup (seemingly).
    Ranger Wear has a high markup on their stuff. Ranger Parts is a different setup and, considering the unique niche of many of their items, always reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyc View Post
    THS ^^^^^ Plus a twist in the strap on each side.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Pictures sent, hope they help

FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy/LGF View Post