digital trim sender troubleshooting

As some of you know i have been troubleshooting my "trim fault" message that I am getting on my merc monitor. I have checked all the connections and they seem to be good. I have attached some pictures of my digital trim sending unit. The first pic is of my digital trim sending unit attached to my motor. The second picture is of the sending unit removed. The slotted piece in the middle moves freely and has stop limits in both direction with 180 degree plus rotation. The third picture with the red arrow shows the "male" tab that goes into the slotted piece in pic #2. Shouldn't that "male" piece rotate when i trim the motor up and down? I trimmed the motor up and down and that "male" piece does not move. It remains in that horizontal position the entire time. Could that be my problem?

Thank you for any advice
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a couple moments to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

The center tab is not supposed to be removed- and appears to be broken.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    The sensor is not to be opened. Get a new sensor.

Thanks guys...I will get these rules figured out at some point.

You guys are a great asset to the forum. Your guidance is always appreciated.

Thanks again.

Rob

So I have to ask....Why would they put screws in the sending unit to allow you to take it apart, if it is not supposed to come apart? To me it clearly looks like it was meant to come apart. What am I missing?

04 225 opitmax
    ser # 0T848170

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sodaksker View Post
    So I have to ask....Why would they put screws in the sending unit to allow you to take it apart, if it is not supposed to come apart? To me it clearly looks like it was meant to come apart. What am I missing?

04 225 opitmax
    ser # 0T848170
    You take it apart and fix it, they cant make any money off of you,lol.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    You take it apart and fix it, they cant make any money off of you,lol.
    Well now... that's certainly constructive.

Some method had to be utilized during assembly of the component. That's pretty much a standard- many engine components are assembled with cap screws (many that are not intended to be disassembled, too).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

New trim sensor installed and no more "trim fault error"

Thanks for all your help guys.

9. Member