Thread: TRAILER LIGHT

TRAILER LIGHT

Has anyone had issues with their trailer lights flickering on and off. I have never had a problem till last night. Everything seems tight including the grounds. Something weird is that if I shake the wires it doesn't come on but if I tap on the tongue
    it seems to flicker on. Has anyone ever had their plug go bad?
    Also, should the lights illuminate when plugged in without the trailer being connected to the truck? Any suggestions on what I should look for.
    Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    Has anyone had issues with their trailer lights flickering on and off. I have never had a problem till last night. Everything seems tight including the grounds. Something weird is that if I shake the wires it doesn't come on but if I tap on the tongue
    it seems to flicker on. Has anyone ever had their plug go bad?
    Also, should the lights illuminate when plugged in without the trailer being connected to the truck? Any suggestions on what I should look for.
    Thanks in advance
    Yea, I've had the same problem. I think you should try cleaning any rust off of the ball and inside the coupler. Might be inhibiting a good ground. I would have the same issue but once I drove a mile or so it would stop doing it.

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    you have a bad ground, its either the white wire grounded to the trailer tongue or no ground from your truck, although it will get ground from the ball it should not have to,
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Banned
    Check where the white wire is connected to the trailer frame. I had to take that off, scrape/sand a clean spot and re-attach it. Otherwise the lights would flicker any time the safety chains moved. I guess it was using the safety chains as a ground since I keep the ball well greased up.

5. Member
    Yes the trailer lights will come on when not hitched to the truck, and the plug is plugged in. If the lights don't come on do the ground test and/or clean the ground wires/connections.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    Had the same problem with my 2014, I installed a ground wire across swing away bolt and haven't had any issues since.

7. Member
    Thanks for all of the input. I will be checking tonight when I get home from work.

8. Member
    I believe the main ground wire attaches to the frame in front of the right wheel near the Phoenix light. Clean and check continuity between that and your plug.
    2011 721
    2021 250 Mercury 4S, Fury 24