Thread: 520L

520L

Has anyone on here been running the 520L? What kind of speeds are you seeing. I heard the L boats are slower then the C boats. I’m ordering mine soon and was wondering what speeds people are getting and if anyone is running the new Mercury PRO XS

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I've heard the same thing with guys that have the ProXS, that the L's are slower. I don't think I've heard of anyone with a L boat and the new V8 ProXS, but someone might chime in that's see/heard of one. I've seen a couple videos on YouTube of the V8 Merc; one was from Pro's Choice Marine and another from a guy out of Texas, but both were on C model's and not L's.

I haven't had mine over 35mph, but I've heard other guys with my set up getting low 70's.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    yes they are slower..2-3 mph slower...i have pro xs 2 stroke...but they ride little better than the C boat

Likewise, I have an L boat with a 250 ProXS 2 stroke, but haven't taken it faster than around 45mph so far. Our lakes here in SoCal are fairly small to begin with but have speed limits of 25mph or 35mph. I'll be hitting Havasu later in October where I'll see how fast I can get her going but I'm not really a speed demon so anything over 60mph is fast enough for me.

5. Member
    Mine is 70 mph , slower than the C boat .
    2018 Z520L , 250 pro xs, ultrex 112 , hds 16 carbon , hds 12 carbon both on bbt mounts. Dual power poles

....deleted
    Last edited by dean c; 08-10-2018 at 09:07 PM.

7. Member
    Rumor is that Mercury detuned the 18 models in order to comply with the emissions standards, thus slowing the boats down a couple MPH. G2 engines pushing these boats 72-73 which is the standard, rumor only!!

8. Member
    My 520L and G2 is at 75 with me and heavy load, 73 with me, my fishing buddy and tournament load. That is with a Custom Croxton Fury three. Yes the L rides a lot better, dryer ride but the C fishes a little better. If I was ordering another the L would probably be my choice.

9. Member
    Howdy,

Out of curiosity, why does the "C" fish better?

Take care,

Ruddiger

10. Banned
    Ditto Rodney’s experience....a bit slower with the stock prop but love the boat....as an aside I crushed a Lynx with a 250 SHO at a tournament last weekend.....that thing looked dangerous is cross chop boat wakes at full pin.....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
    Howdy,

Out of curiosity, why does the "C" fish better?

Take care,

Ruddiger
    I have had both boats...I can tell no difference when standing on the deck fishing .. the L is slower but rides better...probably go back to C boat...havent made my mind up yet.

12. Member
    Love my 520 L. Never caught a bass yet at WOT. I m good at 35 -- 60 mph save a lot of gas and you can fish longer . Just my preference

13. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

I do 30-35mph 95% of the time, I rarely run WOT.

I never saw the point in constantly swapping out props, etc just to get an extra 1-2 mph. Or never saw the need to do 70+mph on the water, call me an old man, but I like the cruising speed of 30ish mph.

Kinda like the guys who debate fuel mileage on 3/4 ton diesel trucks or any pickups for that matter..... If you want a "go fast" boat, pick up boat racing! If you want a fuel efficient vehicle, get a Toyota Prius!

Quote Originally Posted by jstbass View Post
    Love my 520 L. Never caught a bass yet at WOT. I m good at 35 -- 60 mph save a lot of gas and you can fish longer . Just my preference

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live