Thread: Dale Hollow

Dale Hollow

Hey everybody. I’m considering a 10 hour trip from Virginia to fish Dale Hollow. I’d stay 3-5 days just for fishing. I’ve never caught a smallmouth before, and would love to give deep clear water a shot. Is Dale Hollow worth the trip? I’ve read good things about it, but if I believed everything I’ve read i should expect 20lb smallmouth limits by lunchtime lol. So, to temper my expectations, is it with it?

Thanks!

b
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

2. Member
    If possible id wait and go late fall or early winter. We usually start going around mid november and throw a jig 90% of the time. Just be aware of whether youre in ky or tn and make sure you have the appropriate liscense. It can be a lot of fun
    They aint got hands, set the hook

this^
    Ranger Forever

4. Member
    that^ +1

5. Member
    Is there license reciprocity or do I need both licenses?
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

If you've never fished there I would temper expectations. It has a fairly steep learning curve but once you figure a couple things out it can be worth it. If it were me and you just want to go after smallies and dont already have a ky license, then just buy one for TN. More sm water in TN. But like said wait until mid to end of Nov. They move up shallow, around 30'.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Get both licenses and a guide one day and then enjoy. I would go around Thanksgiving is when that lake starts to heat up.

8. Member
    There is no reciprocal water, youre either in KY or TN. A lot more water in TN so i would suggest staying and fishing there, its just something to be mindful of while youre on the water. Dale might be the most overlooked largemouth fishery in the state, so if youre struggling you can always go after them. Get a good windy overcast day and you can catch smallies pulled up into 8-12' but a bright sunny day with no wind be prepared to go deeper. Dont go expecting 20lb bags or youll likely be disappointed. Tons of smallies in the 16-19" range and if theyre biting you can have a lot of fun with em. If you catch em dont throw em in the box for a picture at the end of the day, be aware of the slot limit
    They aint got hands, set the hook

There is a small amount of reciprocal water. I have only been there about 20 times or so and that was mostly several years ago. I know back then it had reciprocal water and per the 2018 KY Fishing Guide Book they still have a shared water licences agreement. Years ago Sulpher was shared water but it looks like it got removed. Currently a TN licence will cover pretty much the entire lake except the small portion of Sulpher that is in KY. A KY licence will let you fish the small portion of the Wolf River that drops below the TN state line.

Bottom of page 15 in the guide book...https://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Documents/18-...hing_guide.pdf

For the OP...I don't know where your read 20 lb limits of small mouths are common to catch before lunch. If that is your expectations then you will be disappointed. A "true" limit of small mouth on that lake is two fish. One over 21" and one over 12" but under 16". KY and TN both manage the lake for trophy fish and they take the size and possession limit serious. I had a game warden ask me to open my live-well so he could see what was in it. You can photo and release 4 to 5 pound small-mouth all day long but if put you just one in the live-well and he is under 21" then be prepared to get a ticket if caught. There is times when the lake is easy to catch small mouth but most of the time you will be eating humble pie. I would hire a guide for at least one day to see what presentation is working the best.
    Last edited by JR19; 08-10-2018 at 12:00 PM.

I wouldn't drive 60 miles now to fish it, except maybe at night.

11. Member
    It’s a great winter lake.
    Basscat!

There is still reciprocal waters but youll be limiting yourself if you only buy KY licenses. Id buy a TN license you can get a 3 day or 10 day. I wouldnt expect to catch big limits if youve never been there it can be humbling.

13. Banned
    I have fished Dale for 30+ years and it is as good or better than ever. I have fished three times since June, all on Dale.

July 6 we had a 19 lb 5 fish smallmouth catch in 4 hrs. August 26 was a bit tougher but we had 18+ in a in bit longer. Saturday we had 21lbs in 6 hrs including a 6.2 smallmouth out of 13’ on a shale rock bank.

All of these trips were during the day with HEAVY boat traffic. The traffic and wind Saturday helps a bunch. The only lake I take time to fish. Wintertime is a little better but none of these fish were caught over 20’.

Largemouth are shallow year round and under the right conditions smallmouth are on the bank as well. Jr19, we will hook up in a day or two as you are clearly missing out on the hottest summer lake in Ky.

14. Joe4d
    Dude go to NY,, Finger lake or Onieda..
    I am a VA guy, got sent up there by Army ,, If u know how to bass fish here ? you will SLAY em there.. Seriously uneducated fish there. Short seasons and bass arnt as popular..

15. Joe4d
    but wait what ? U do realize there are smallmouth right in middle of town where u live.

Rude196 sounds like you got it figured out. I live on dale and never heard of anyone catching them during the day in the summer like that. Sounds like you need to be fishing some tournaments.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_185 View Post
    Rude196 sounds like you got it figured out. I live on dale and never heard of anyone catching them during the day in the summer like that. Sounds like you need to be fishing some tournaments.
    I’m fishing in your neck of the woods. Maybe you are overlooking the obvious.

Maybe. I usually far pretty well come tournament time. I’ll agree with you the lake is at its best on largemouth right now but smallmouth I’ll have to disagree. I’ve lived here my hole life and fished with some of the best on the lake and never heard of anyone catching big limits during the day in the summer. Not saying you can’t do it I just don’t think that’s realistic for someone who’s never been on the lake before.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_185 View Post
    Maybe. I usually far pretty well come tournament time. I’ll agree with you the lake is at its best on largemouth right now but smallmouth I’ll have to disagree. I’ve lived here my hole life and fished with some of the best on the lake and never heard of anyone catching big limits during the day in the summer. Not saying you can’t do it I just don’t think that’s realistic for someone who’s never been on the lake before.
    When I said overlooking the obvious I was stating my experience and the experience of those who taught me to fish the lake. I have never seen the amount of 4lb smallmouth before as present. The lake was full with bassboats saturday, and a steady rumor has been around awhile.

Sure, it isn’t cranking out the pigs after the die off but it is rebounding quickly. Notice I didn’t say smallmouth on Aug 26, but we had a 3+ that day. Now if you are telling me I should come down there swinging with a 19 lb smallmouth limit, 15lb largemouth limit, and a very useful fish to fish tournaments.

Yeah, wouldn’t work out for me would it. I’m all for the slot limit though!