Crestliner Bow lift

Gentlemen,
    Im having an issue with bow lift on my 2018 Crestliner PT18. Im running a 150 four stroke with a 21p tempest plus, and an atlas 6" jack plate. As I trim up the prop will blow out before I achieve any decent bow lift. This is with the jack plate all the way down. Also I have already sent the prop to Murphy's prop shop and had cup added. This was an improvement, but it still feels like I am plowing water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

2. Banned
    Find the setting on you jp that puts your prop about 3-1/2" below the pad and give it a run. Sounds like the motor is way too deep.

3. Member
    I have tried raising the motor and it seems to lose grip at the same trim until I get too high then it blows out sooner. I would like to try another Tempest plus as the one I have now was damage by the previous owner and repared. It seems as though it will not grip as well as the 19p I originally had. There are just no shops around here that I know of that will allow me to test props.
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

4. Member
    I betting this isn’t a pad hull. Probably going to run pretty flat. Not sure there’s a whole lot you can due to gain much bow lift

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC86 View Post
    I betting this isn’t a pad hull. Probably going to run pretty flat. Not sure there’s a whole lot you can due to gain much bow lift
    You’re correct duh that one went right over my head.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PT18 Bassin View Post
    I have tried raising the motor and it seems to lose grip at the same trim until I get too high then it blows out sooner. I would like to try another Tempest plus as the one I have now was damage by the previous owner and repared. It seems as though it will not grip as well as the 19p I originally had. There are just no shops around here that I know of that will allow me to test props.
    Call Mark 317-398-9294 he will be the best guide for the correct prop.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    You’re correct duh that one went right over my head.
    I wasn’t referring to your suggestion of “below pad” when I said it wasn’t a pad hull. I’ve got a tracker that’s pretty flat and tried chasing bow lift.

Can you achieve full trim and feel like it needs more trim? My 150 4 stroke had a trim sensor calibration issue, I was only getting 16 degrees full trim. Once checked and corrected by a mercury mech, I was attaining full 20*

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC86 View Post
    I wasn’t referring to your suggestion of “below pad” when I said it wasn’t a pad hull. I’ve got a tracker that’s pretty flat and tried chasing bow lift.

Can you achieve full trim and feel like it needs more trim? My 150 4 stroke had a trim sensor calibration issue, I was only getting 16 degrees full trim. Once checked and corrected by a mercury mech, I was attaining full 20*
    It feels like it needs more trim but if I trim it any higher the prop blows out. The more I get into this I am coming to the conclusions: A) Not a pad hull= no good, B)Prop is flawed
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

If the hull is not a pad hull, and it appears from my research it is not, then you are chasing your tail. It will never lift.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

10. Member
    How many rpm's are you turning at WOT and what your top speed? Since it's not a pad boat you probably won't be able to run with the center of the prop higher than 4.25 inches below the bottom of the boat so your probably too high now and that's why it wants to blow out before the bow lifts.

11. Member
    You may want to put on a Foil in order to get more trim out. It has made a big difference with my PT20.

I am running a Tempest 19P running about 5800 rpm. I have heard the PT18 plays pretty well with that 21P. But if you want more trim look at Chris Bailey foil..

http://goingfishingtoday.com/crestli...is-baily-foil/
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH

Set the cav plate even with bottom of hull and work from there,

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    How many rpm's are you turning at WOT and what your top speed? Since it's not a pad boat you probably won't be able to run with the center of the prop higher than 4.25 inches below the bottom of the boat so your probably too high now and that's why it wants to blow out before the bow lifts.
    I'm running 5500rpms at 52 mph. I'm getting a lot of prop slip due to the prop trying to blow out. This is with the jack plate all the way down. I can't lower the prop any more so I think I'm just stuck.
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PT18 Bassin View Post
    I'm running 5500rpms at 52 mph. I'm getting a lot of prop slip due to the prop trying to blow out. This is with the jack plate all the way down. I can't lower the prop any more so I think I'm just stuck.
    52 mph and 21 tempest ain’t bad, these motors have 1.92 gearing. Honestly a 22 bravo 1 fs maybe a good prop option. It’ll probably run same Rpms as 21 tempest but will run higher. Just watch your water pressure.

15. Member
    What mounting holes are your top bolts in top or something else?