Converting surge brake to electric

I've got a leak on my surge brakes, I believe coming from the actuator inside the hub. Haven't torn it apart yet to see for sure. The trailer is 22 years old so I'm sure once I tear into it, I'm going to end up replacing more then just the actuator. Has anyone converted there trailer? If so, what kind of cost am I looking at? I'm handy with that kind of stuff so I would be doing it myself. It's a single axel that is original to the 96 charger 186.

2. Member
    Surge brakes are probably disc, electric are drum. So would need everything to mount them.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    Its drum brakes already

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You won’t save anything over fixing the surge brakes, especially if you have to buy a brake controller.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Already have the brake controller. I'm just asking if anyone has done it and what it cost them. I would much rather have electric over surge

6. Banned
    If it was me I would forget the brakes altogether. What are you towing with.? Electric brakes can be a pain also. The wires to the magnet constantly breaks and the drums rust and the magnets dont hold.

Did not covert but installed electric brakes my old trailer. It cost about 350 for the parts.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

Quote Originally Posted by dbooth View Post
    Already have the brake controller. I'm just asking if anyone has done it and what it cost them. I would much rather have electric over surge
    If your talking electric drum brakes... It's your choice -- good luck !!

9. Member
    I converted my MFI trailer to electric but I already had the stuff I needed.

I would probably contact Etrailer for some prices n the backing plates, check the size of your hubs, ask if your disc hubs will work for the electric brake hub.

I will say I am very pleased with the change I made and haven't had ANY issues like I did with surge brakes.
    Rocket

I bought a new axle for my trailer and put electric brakes on it and I think each side was 50 dollars and had to wire them up and change wire connector on boat and weld the tongue of the trailer . Got my parts from Stillwater trailer in sullivan mo
    2005 champion 196 oh what a ride

Early 90's had a 19 fter, probably around 2800-2900 lbs. I installed electric brakes on a trailer that had no brakes. They worked Flawlessly . I saw my old boat and trailer a few months ago----- still has electric brakes on that old trailer.

Late 80's bought a 10 year old used boat with electric brakes that did not work. Previous owner claimed they were just unhooked...Took much effort and a sledge hammer to remove the outer brake drum. Once inside found all of the smaller metal parts had turned to a rust pile.
    There's a reason ALL the major bass boat manufactures have gone to disk brakes