Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front Deck Extention for PT175

I have a 2005 PT175. This is the model that did not have the front deck extended all the way to the console. There is a gap between the console and the large storage compartment, the rod box is on the port side. I would love to completely rebuild the front deck to have a center rod locker and storage on the sides. Unfortunately, time is not on my side. I need to have the boat operational by Mid September, due to my club tournament schedule and my sons High School tournament season, and I just don't think i can do a complete tear out and rebuild in that time. Does anyone have a similar model that has built any type of front deck extension to fill that gap?

I see (don’t know) but see a boat from time to time at one particular ramp. With the same layout as yours. He riveted angle aluminum around the whole space your talking about. And used 3/4” plywood carpeted to screw down flush with the deck. The angle is even on the console face. And he has all that space underneath open. For throwing gear and tackle bags under. It looked great, and I like the open storage space. He recarpeted the whole front deck. So it looks as if the boat came that way.

If I had your model, I’d do the same thing. Hope this gives you one idea

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    I was thinking something similar. I was thinking of doing the angle aluminum frame and box it in. And then add a step between that, the rod locker and the console. Just wasn't sure on the materials. Never considered riveting it in place, much less riveting to the plastic console face. Never thought that would have held. Aluminum Angle frame will be lighter for sure. I am concerned about the strength of it. I am a big guy LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Bass Fanatic View Post
    I was thinking something similar. I was thinking of doing the angle aluminum frame and box it in. And then add a step between that, the rod locker and the console. Just wasn't sure on the materials. Never considered riveting it in place, much less riveting to the plastic console face. Never thought that would have held. Aluminum Angle frame will be lighter for sure. I am concerned about the strength of it. I am a big guy LOL.
    You wouldn’t have to rivet to the console. That is what I would change. Run that piece of angle all the way across to the other side. And put legs down to the floor in front of the console. That way there are no holes in the console. His was turned around the console, so that it came back to the edge face. Then went straight across to the rod locker.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Member
    I have a 2005 185 and I just made a box to fit into the space to add to the deck. I dont have the confidence yet to rebuild my whole front deck so I just made the box to fit. I actually put all my tackle in it and free's up a box for my boys tackle when they go. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow for you.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    You wouldn’t have to rivet to the console. That is what I would change. Run that piece of angle all the way across to the other side. And put legs down to the floor in front of the console. That way there are no holes in the console. His was turned around the console, so that it came back to the edge face. Then went straight across to the rod locker.
    That would be a lot stronger for sure. Thanks.

On another note, your rig is coming along nice. Been following your progress here and on another forum. Looks real good. I would love to do that to mine, I jut can't give up my boat long enough LOL.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDPIL View Post
    I have a 2005 185 and I just made a box to fit into the space to add to the deck. I dont have the confidence yet to rebuild my whole front deck so I just made the box to fit. I actually put all my tackle in it and free's up a box for my boys tackle when they go. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow for you.
    That would be great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BDPIL View Post
    Glad to see you are enjoying your 185 and doing some mods, looking forward to seeing pictures and hope all is well with you and family...

That would be a lot stronger for sure. Thanks.

On another note, your rig is coming along nice. Been following your progress here and on another forum. Looks real good. I would love to do that to mine, I jut can't give up my boat long enough LOL.
    Thank you sir, it has been much easier. With having access to a big Cat and a 16’ jon to fish from. Without that, it would of been done a long time ago.lol

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

All good ideas. The box would be strong to stand on. The type glenn is talking about is good too. You could probly keep a tackle bag or sweatshirts etc underneath if you made a storage box out of it too. I believe that area from the factory was for a cooler to slide in that space.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtlgator View Post
    Glad to see you are enjoying your 185 and doing some mods, looking forward to seeing pictures and hope all is well with you and family...
    Glad to hear from you. Yea starting to get comfortable around the boat on doing somethings. Nothing major though. Would like to re-carpet it as some point but not sure I have that much confidence in myself on doing a good job like gatorglenn is doing.

Did finally, I hope, get all my motor issues taken care of. Should have replaced the fuel pump first instead of doing everything else first. Oh well.

12. Member
    SC Bass Fanatic, will get a pic up tomorrow for you. It is nothing special. Just measured the space and made a box for it out of 2x4's and 3/4 plywood with carpet on it. Carpet doesnt mach but it was as close as I could get to what I had from the box stores around me.

13. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. All information is appreciated. I have never messed with rivets much. Here is a question, if i were to remove the large storage compartment, would it be feasible to frame out what i want to do with aluminum angle and rivets? i would be basically constructing a box out of aluminum angle and "skinning it with either wood or aluminum sheeting. Would it be structurally sound? This would be an area approximately 4 feet square with some hatch lids integrated for the rod box, tackle storage and integrated cooler. I can't weld so if i were to do it it would have to be constructed by means if rivets or screws. After further inspection, if this is feasible and i can find a temporary material to cover it (carpet, vinyl, textured coating) i can construct it and recarpet the entire boat later. I just hate a temporary fix. The whole boat needs to be recarpeted (or some other covering), but i can't afford it right now.

Thanks for all the replies. All information is appreciated. I have never messed with rivets much. Here is a question, if i were to remove the large storage compartment, would it be feasible to frame out what i want to do with aluminum angle and rivets? i would be basically constructing a box out of aluminum angle and "skinning it with either wood or aluminum sheeting. Would it be structurally sound? This would be an area approximately 4 feet square with some hatch lids integrated for the rod box, tackle storage and integrated cooler. I can't weld so if i were to do it it would have to be constructed by means if rivets or screws. After further inspection, if this is feasible and i can find a temporary material to cover it (carpet, vinyl, textured coating) i can construct it and recarpet the entire boat later. I just hate a temporary fix. The whole boat needs to be recarpeted (or some other covering), but i can't afford it right now.
    Yes you can. But I would use a mix of angle and c-channel. This is what I did to mine. It’s rock solid.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

15. Member
    Thanks for the reassurance. I took the boat out this weekend, that really got me wanting to go ahead and do it. i understand anything to spray on the aluminum other than glue will require special attention.

Thanks for the reassurance. I took the boat out this weekend, that really got me wanting to go ahead and do it. i understand anything to spray on the aluminum other than glue will require special attention.
    I carpeted my boat. The cockpit floor is now aluminum. That piece got the regular outdoor carpet glue from the big box store. Mostly everything else got put on with 3M super 77 spray ahesive. Sprayed the metal, wait 15 seconds and spray the back of the carpet and then apply. It will not come back up. As far as the vinyl flooring goes I believe this is what they use instead of carpet glue.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

17. Member
    Started yesterday. Quickly learned three things. (1)Daddy was right again, nothing is as easy it appears, this project is no different. (2)I have to remove the deck to get the lids off. (3) the screws that secure the front deck are soft. I have just about stripped everyone of the heads out. Going to have to get another extractor set. I have yet to figure out how to get that front compartment out.

Started yesterday. Quickly learned three things. (1)Daddy was right again, nothing is as easy it appears, this project is no different. (2)I have to remove the deck to get the lids off. (3) the screws that secure the front deck are soft. I have just about stripped everyone of the heads out. Going to have to get another extractor set. I have yet to figure out how to get that front compartment out.
    Yes I strip my share to. They are SS. So yes soft. Can’t use a regular drill or impact gun. You need a drill with speed settings. Put it on the lowest setting. Then pull the trigger very slowly. To get it started. Once you feel the countersunk of the screw let go. Then you can zip them out.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

19. Member
    Had to get an extractor set. Every one of them was stripped. LOL. I hope i can replace them with a different type of head. Got the box out last night. Going to pick up supplies today and tomorrow to work on it this weekend. I have been reading some opinions on rod tubes in rod lockers. I am seriously considering opening up the bulk head for a pass through and using rod gloves with no tubes. This will require me to extend that front box a little and open up the front of it. But i think it may simplify the project. I have never had rod tubes so i don't really have a comparison. What do you think?

Had to get an extractor set. Every one of them was stripped. LOL. I hope i can replace them with a different type of head. Got the box out last night. Going to pick up supplies today and tomorrow to work on it this weekend. I have been reading some opinions on rod tubes in rod lockers. I am seriously considering opening up the bulk head for a pass through and using rod gloves with no tubes. This will require me to extend that front box a little and open up the front of it. But i think it may simplify the project. I have never had rod tubes so i don't really have a comparison. What do you think?
    I took my tubes out. Cut the top portion of the bulk head out that had tubes on the top. Still plenty strong, but I did put a c- Chanel over it just in case. I’ll put up a pic tonight on the opening.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast