40 HP Tiller.....Loading up?

My son and I just finished restoring the interior of his boat, and we finally got it on the water this past week end. It starts right up and we idled out of the no wake zone and we tried to get on plane and couldn't. At first I attributed it moving some of he weight to the rear during the rebuild. Any way we took the extra gas tank out and tried again, we were only able to get to about 10MPH, and didn't seem like it was getting RPM (no gauge just by ear). So I put it into neutral and revved the engine a couple of times, then put into to gear and we took right off got on plane and got up to 24 MPH.

I could smell some fumes when I was back there. Is there an adjustment on the carburetor I should use or do I need to rebuild them. The engine is a 1990 model so I doubt they have ever been rebuilt.

I am taking new spark plug and fuel filter to the lake this week end. Probably add some seafoam to the tank as well.

S/N 0d032647
    Last edited by mtranger; 08-09-2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Posted the serial number

2. Member
    if mtr set up for long period I would kit carbs for sure, lean engine is bad deal , rich is bad too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................