Thread: Sonar

Sonar

anyone h.aving issues with sonar on a new boat? Mine has short somewhere. constantlu go out. Everytime I trim up or down, turn livewell on I get interference. Thinking of wiring directly to battery and bypassing the sonar switch.

2. Banned
    Wire directly with 12ga wire. The thin 18ga wire they use just doesn't cut it for current draw of newer units.

You could re-wire to your switch, then re-wire to your units from the switch. Either way, wiring. Or a weak starting battery.

3. Member
    I dont think it could be the battery. new boat. I run pumps all day no issues.

If they didn't put in a big enough grp 31 AGM you could have issues right off. You can never go wrong wiring direct, but I'd suspect the battery, what kind is it and how many CCA?

5. Member
    Don’t forget to put an inline fuse on the new wiring.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    If they didn't put in a big enough grp 31 AGM you could have issues right off. You can never go wrong wiring direct, but I'd suspect the battery, what kind is it and how many CCA?
    Interstate 27 m xhd 800cca and 1000mca

Not big enough if you're running an Optimax, graphs and pumps. I know you don't want to hear it, but if you go to Batteries Plus and get an X2 grp 31 with 1150 CCA all those problems will disappear.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Talusmonkey View Post
    Interstate 27 m xhd 800cca and 1000mca
    I had the same battery. It came with my boat new. Both my console and bow graphs would reboot every time I cranked the engine. That was before I wired directly to the battery with thicker gauge wire. No more issues.