95 200xri won’t crank

Alright guys, I bought a 95 491vs ranger as a project boat and it’s been going pretty well until today. I spun the motor manually before I bought it to make sure it wasn’t locked up, other than doing that I didn’t check much more about the motor because it didn’t have good batteries in it. I tried to start it today and nothing. I have an acc beeper and the fuel pump comes on with the key but it won’t crank at all. I jumped the starter over and it spun so I know the starter is good. The kill switch is on and in place like it should be and I moved the shifter while trying to start and still nothing. The fuses are good as well and there seems to be no bad connections that I can see on the solenoid. I’m new to the motor side of bass boats so any help y’all can give me to set me down the right path would be greatly appreciated.

If hitting the key does not engage the starter, then I would suspect a dirty or loose connection at the battery, the starter, or the starter solenoid. Clean and tighten ALL connections related to those 3 components and then try it again. If it still doesn't spin then it could be the ignition switch or neutral switch. The Mercury shop manual has some great trouble shooting procedures....I would highly recommend purchasing one. Their step by step procedures for eliminating possible causes of various malfunctions are very easy to follow. Good luck. (By the way....welcome to BBC)

3. Member
    I put new connections on battery ends and it is a brand new blue top optima on it that just came off the charger. I installed a new ignition that is just a universal four prong for a car but maybe that has something to do with it. I know Merc makes an actual ignition for it but didn’t want to spend the $49 on one. Where is the neutral switch located? I will pull off all the solenoid connections tomorrow and clean them and reinstall them to see if that helps but other then doing that I have no idea what I’m looking at as far as the motor goes. Thank you for the reply and I’m glad to be here. Hopefully I can get her going soon and finish the restoration. She was sitting in a pasture untarped for about five years so I feel like I have a ton of work ahead of me.

Oh my gosh.....I hate it when people treat boats that way, but I see it all the time. Hopefully you have drained all the old fuel and put in fresh and then had the injectors and the fuel rail cleaned. 5 years is a long time. I would also check the exhaust and the tale tell outlet and make sure the dirt daubers haven't built nests in them. I would definitely get the Mercury ignition switch on it ASAP. That automotive switch could very well be your problem. I don't think 4 wires is near enough. The worst thing on a two stroke motor is for it to sit unused for a long time......good luck.

5. Member
    Yessir I drained the fuel, took the oil pump off the motor and deleted it just to run premix, new plugs, filters and cleaned the motor up. I’ll have to check the exhaust housing and stuff to make sure it’s ok. I’ll order that Merc ignition and see if that is the problem. It’s coming along great other than that. She’s got new carpet, bucket seats and a new minnkota 112 on the nose with a helix9 and 7 chirp si/gps units on it and a new gel coat so after the motor it will be tournament ready hopefully.

Sweet....keep us posted. And maybe add some pics.....

7. Member
    If I can figure out how I sure will sir.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a couple moments to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Run a wire from the positive side of the battery to the trigger terminal on the solenoid.If it turns over,the problem is ahead of the motor...switch,controls,wiring.If it doesn't,problem is the solenoid or battery cables,connections since you said your starter is good.

10. Member
    Okay I’ll try that after this rain let’s up. Thank you sir

11. Member
    Alright guys, new ignition switch, new solenoid, hot battery with new connectors. Still nothing on the key when I turn it but I can jump it from the battery to the start post and it spins. Any ideas?

12. Member
    neutral switch in control box /cannon plug at mtr end,wirring harness ( unlikely) if you have key on dash tie 2 yel red stripe wires together from con box eliminates n switch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Where do I splice the two together at? Back of the ignition or somewhere on the motor? I’m plumb dumb when it comes to these outboards lol.

14. Member
    under dash should be wire from harness and wire from switch splice um together
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Member
    Okay thank you. I’ll look after work. I’ll let you know. I appreciate it

16. Member
    welcome