Sealant for transom bolts

For those of you who have changed your setback plates, what sealant did you use on the transom bolts?

Also, do the 2.5" plates on the xb-21 from the factory have a lot of sealant on them? Meaning, are they tough to remove?
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

2. Member
    Mine were not, just a bead around the bolt and that was it.

Johnny Johnson

3. Member
    Just a little clear silicone is all that is needed unless someone went full on gorilla to break the studs loose from the transom support structure.
    I’m not exactly sure of their procedures but I believe the transom bracket is adhered to the back of the hull with the same material that’s used to seal the top cap to the hull. The transom support bracket has several steps involved in how it’s integrally built into the boat which should completely seal water out.
    But, they do use a little at the plant when they assemble so I guess it’s better safe than sorry.

4. Member
    Thanks guys, I've always used clear silicone on boats in the past.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

5. BBC SPONSOR
    I put 3M 4200 on mine when I put the first 8" plate on, whem I swapped it to a 10" plate, we liked to never got it loose.

From now on I just put silicone around the studs and call it good. The studs appear to be sealed with epoxy or something similar.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

6. Member
    I'm in the process of trying different size spacers on my xb2003. I removed the plate and cleaned the back of the transom, put a 1/4" bead around the bolts and bolted a 6" spacer to it. Went and ran the boat, came home and decided to take it off. Put the motor and plate on the cherry picker, unbolted the spacer and couldn't get it off at all. I had to bolt the motor back to it then slowly let it down. The silicone itself held the weight of the 400lb motor for about 5 seconds before it came loose. Next time I'll use a 1/8" bead.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I'm in the process of trying different size spacers on my xb2003. I removed the plate and cleaned the back of the transom, put a 1/4" bead around the bolts and bolted a 6" spacer to it. Went and ran the boat, came home and decided to take it off. Put the motor and plate on the cherry picker, unbolted the spacer and couldn't get it off at all. I had to bolt the motor back to it then slowly let it down. The silicone itself held the weight of the 400lb motor for about 5 seconds before it came loose. Next time I'll use a 1/8" bead.
    I've been there and done that too. If we needed that darn adhesive to hold a load it would fall off like it was buttered up. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I put 3M 4200 on mine when I put the first 8" plate on, whem I swapped it to a 10" plate, we liked to never got it loose.

From now on I just put silicone around the studs and call it good. The studs appear to be sealed with epoxy or something similar.

Haha.........I changed the jackplate on my old 1994 Pro Craft back around 1998. I used 3M adhesive instead of silicone sealant. The boat was shot (water in the transom & stringers = soft) I was pulling the motor off to sell it and it
    was stuck. We had a tractor boom holding it up all bolts out. I had to get a wood chisel and drive it between the transom and the jackplate to get it to break lose!!! Thought it was gonna tear the back of the boat off! Lesson learned, silicone from now on.......

9. Member
    On an XB21 do you really need to use any silicone between the spacer and the transom. The aluminium transom bracket is built into the boat as are the studs you aren't going to remove them. Theres nothing to rot. So why is it needed?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    On an XB21 do you really need to use any silicone between the spacer and the transom. The aluminium transom bracket is built into the boat as are the studs you aren't going to remove them. Theres nothing to rot. So why is it needed?
    Its needed because Lunatics like you Kevin try to play James bond on the lake! IMG_20180810_23138.jpg
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Probably ordered a new drivers seat cover after that ride..... LOL Great photo.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Its needed because Lunatics like you Kevin try to play James bond on the lake!
    If the boat won’t take that little jump I for sure own the wrong brand. They aren’t made at Cracker Barrel ya know.

13. Member
    [QUOTE=NOTGSXR;9573416]Its needed because Lunatics like you Kevin

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Probably ordered a new drivers seat cover after that ride..... LOL Great photo.
    That picture was all about timing I was barley going 40 mph. It was a planned set up. Not a pucker moment at all.

I think that is the best looking color combo I have seen on the XB-21 yet. Definitely the colors I would chose if I ever get to a place in life to go order a new one.

16. Member
    And it's cool to be able to see ALL the colors at once, without a dang trailer or water obstructing you view. I love that shot, even saved it to my phone.

Johnny Johnson

17. Member
    Funny Johnny Johnson. I saved that photo to my phone too. Great minds think alike. Great shot and one for the calendar we don't have yet! LOL

18. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Only to keep water from seeping in to the boat around the bolts.