Is this a combustion sensor?

Motor turns over but will not fire up. Symptoms of a kill switch. The boot on this is damaged and did not have contact with the threaded screw coming out of the sensor I presume... Looks like the cowl was rubbing on the boot. Moter is a 1999 EFI 200hp.

2. Member
    Looks like it’s mounted to a head bolt, maybe a temp sensor? Provide serial number so someone can give you specific info.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Knock senor I think ……..Is that a white/purple wire to it or a cylinder head temp sensor
    Serial number please
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Was curious as to the serial number as well. I didn't find it on there anywhere visible. The wire is Blue and white.

Knock sensor is something I came across when I googled Combustion Sensor. I think they are the same.

For clarity, it is coming out of the top of the left head.

7. Member
    That is a knock sensor. It is installed on the wrong bolt hole in the head, that is why the cowling is making contact with it, should be on the same head but to the right of the thermostat. It is also not causing your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by boatwrench View Post
    That is a knock sensor. It is installed on the wrong bolt hole in the head, that is why the cowling is making contact with it, should be on the same head but to the right of the thermostat. It is also not causing your problem.
    Thanks for your feedback. Not sure which hole it is suppose to be in so that is good to know. I will check into changing it to save the cowl from hitting it. Also, the motor did not start until I applied pressure to the plug. It is clearly separated and not making a connection. I am not a mechanic but no pressure = no start, pressure = start.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatwrench View Post
    exactly ,obviously some one has been scrambling things on that mtr those cyl temp wires are not routed correctly either they need to be on port side of block
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Just called a local marine shop. Owner came back with they don't sell the boots separately. I would have to buy the entire assembly for $450. That really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    Just called a local marine shop. Owner came back with they don't sell the boots separately. I would have to buy the entire assembly for $450. That really sucks.
    There are 90 degree vacuum line connectors available at parts that are very similar to what you need for a boot. Replace, relocate the sensor with a new electrical connector and boot. After installing the sensor and wire you could also just incapsulate it with a very good RTV sealant to water proof it as a last resort
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a couple moments to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Theoretically, the boot does nothing other than protect the connection from moisture/corrosion. Any solid connection at the sensor, that is coated with liquid electrical tape would essentially accomplish the same task.

Need to check the basics... Compression, Spark, and Fuel Quality/Delivery/Pressure

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor