Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this the new "norm"?

Stopped by Cabelas yesterday. As I'm walking up, I notice these creases on the bottom of a Ranger. They had a Tracker deep-v need to it to which has the same. What's the deal with it? I just sold my '05 Lowe boat and the bottom of mine sure doesn't look like that.

2. Member
    I would not take one that looked like that
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

3. Banned
    Wow!

4. Member
    Tracker and Ranger owned by the same and now starting to look the same .
    Unfortuantly can’t say I’m surprised

The reason it stands out more is from it being painted. Older models were not painted on the hull bottom. You guys do realize that when you weld thinner materials together that there will be penetration marks correct?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    The reason it stands out more is from it being painted. Older models were not painted on the hull bottom. You guys do realize that when you weld thinner materials together that there will be penetration marks correct?
    No that looks like tissue paper. Poor quality does look like the bottom of the tracker I had.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    No that looks like tissue paper. Poor quality does look like the bottom of the tracker I had.
    You would be surprised how many “quality boats” look like that if you look closely. If you painted the bottom of the older models you would see more like that then you think. Also cuz the Op seen ONE boat like thag hardly makes it the “new norm”. Jumping to conclusions like always.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Member
    Not kicking the boat, but my xpress is painted and does not look like that. I have not seen one in person, but the pictures of the Vexus boats look smooth.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

Im not saying all but some show more than others. No doubt these show quite a bit. On my cousins 2014 rt188 you can see the welds on his. My tracker you can see them if you get down on your knees and look and i have seen new trackers and other Rangers you cant see them at all. It can also depend on the person doing it too many variables. Last i checked Tracker is robotically welding theirs Ranger still doing theirs by hand?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Yep... Looks good to me
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

11. Banned
    My painted bottom. If you look real good in person you can see weld marks in some places, but not like that Ranger!
    Polar Krafts are hand welded using .100 gauge aluminum.
    I also owned a white 2003 Xpress H51 with a white hull, and it also had some noticeable weld marks in areas, but also not like the Ranger picture.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 08-10-2018 at 02:13 PM.

12. Joe4d
    IMO if the display model looks like that the ones u get will be worse.

13. Member
    You would be surprised how many “quality boats” look like that if you look closely. If you painted the bottom of the older models you would see more like that then you think. Also cuz the Op seen ONE boat like thag hardly makes it the “new norm”. Jumping to conclusions like always.
    Like I said, both hulls looked exactly like this. Maybe bc it was sunny out, but it jumped right out. Ny deep-v had a few crease looking marks, but nothing like this. It was painted too. I wonder if it had thicker aluminum.

14. Member
    My Lowe 18HP had a bunch of them, but you couldn't see them well because of the black paint and clear coat.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

15. Member
    It’s fairly common on welded aluminum hulls . It shows good penetration in the welds . I have a few visable ones here and there on my RT . Had a few on my old express boat . Nothing like that pic though .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

16. Member
    My 198P has some on the bottom, not as visible as that pic but there is some. Most aluminum boats i looked at had them!

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Yeah to me it looks like a welder (robotically welded I believe) that may have been a little too hot. Aluminum is not easy to weld! There is a lot of reinforcement in that hull and the shiny appearance no doubt makes it stand out.

My 06 Triton...still Earl Bentz years?? Has a couple places on the sides where I can see the bracing. I would agree that isn’t a great appearance.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

As far as ranger, in there plant they don’t use robotic welder. But man that is a tuff hull. I count 4 maybe 5 braces in that one area. That bow can take a beating. And yes that’s just the pucker factor of welding aluminum. It’s fine

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

19. Member
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

20. Member
    Does it float? Will the fish notice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast