Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rough Riding Cougar

this is by no means a bashing thread! Perhaps it is a set up thread or bad driver thread iDK... I've had my 16 Cougar since February and It is beating me to death in choppy water. It's not that I don't love the boat, I will probably never own anything but a cat, but.... this thing is the roughest riding boat I've ever had in semi rough water. I live on Hartwell which isn't a big rough water lake. I've had a 285 stratos, 201 pro stratos , cajun, tidecraft and a bullet since 1989. I thought I knew how to drive a boat but maybe I don't. With the 250 pro XS I can hit 79 mph in 88 degree water, so I'm thinking the set up is right. If i'm running 55 and hit some white caps the boat feels like it's actually being pitched from wave to wave. Most people comment that theirs has a great ride on even Lake of the Ozarks.. So what am I doing wrong. Sometimes my deck lids fly open if they aren't locked. I know that no boat rides good in 3ft swells but I'm talking about another bass boat wake.

Any suggestions? If you want to bash BassCat go somewhere else and do it. I just need to figure this thing out!

2. Member
    I would get a hold of J Risco on here and let him go out with you and see what's going on. He lives somewhere right there where your at and he's pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes to bass cats and set ups. He works at palmetto boating center also. But see if you can go take him for a ride and he might have some suggestions.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jusmangrum View Post
    I would get a hold of J Risco on here and let him go out with you and see what's going on. He lives somewhere right there where your at and he's pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes to bass cats and set ups. He works at palmetto boating center also. But see if you can go take him for a ride and he might have some suggestions.
    Thanks, I pass Palmetto every day on the way home from work. I'll look him up.

Good luck figuring it out, but in my opinion 55 MPH is too fast to be running in white caps. Slow it down a little.

My PUMA handled fine in 2-3 rollers this weekend on lake George, although i was down to about 40 MPH
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

5. Member
    Was it bad because it was pounding you and getting wet or just rolling side to side? I thought my Puma had an incredibly smooth ride in slop and waves. Never had a jarring hit - not once. But it did slightly roll which took getting used to. IMO (which may or may not be correct from a design point), the roll was a by product of hull design which didn’t allow any of those hits that just rattle your teeth and spine. I’ll take the roll.

6. Member
    Title of this thread mislead me.

Trim engine down. Cut through the waves instead of bouncing over the top of them. Usually have my trim at 2.5-3 in rough water.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

8. Member
    If you have trouble finding him just send me a pm and I'll give you his cell. He told me to give to you and he would help out. He's a good dude.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

Quote Originally Posted by jusmangrum View Post
    Thanks Justin. Brownmaniac, send me a PM with your number. Id be happy to take a ride with you Sunday and check out your setup. Dont know if Ill be able to help any but a second opinion is always helpful. I also have props we can try, and on Sunday during the day you know Hartwell will be chopped up enough from traffic lol.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

11. Member
    everyone has a different definition of "rough ride". My cat does move around on the chop but it much softer landings than most others I've owned or been in.

12. Member
    trim down some and let the v of the hull split the waves
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Much of any ride has to do with the speeds you are running. From your post we assume your previous boats all ran about 70-72 MPH and that now you have an extra 6 to 10 MPH depending on the situation.That extra speed also is a different ride. We always say compare rides at a speed. A boat that will perform 70 and backs off and cruises at 60, will out ride a boat that will run 80 and backs off and cruises at 70. Though the two will ride much different and the faster one likely will ride better at 70 than the slower one. Its all in the speeds being similar.

We also think you might have a little excess steering torque at full throttle which makes steering hard. The indicates the engine is too high and thus mid range lift will be compromised, and that is where the ride is achieved.

14. Member

15. Member
    Me too. Was expected something about a special experience with a seasoned woman!

16. Member
    I run LSC and Erie and I am very happy with my Puma's ride.. May want to consider giving up some speed and going with a 4 blade prop...It will keep the hull flatter at slower speeds and allow it to work.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

17. Member
    ^^^ This. Went to a 4-blade prop and much better ride, especially on St. Clair.

When this problem occurs I can usually tame it with a couple of glasses of wine, handcuffs and some leg straps............It doesn't always work but sometimes........
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Thanks Justin. Brownmaniac, send me a PM with your number. Id be happy to take a ride with you Sunday and check out your setup. Dont know if Ill be able to help any but a second opinion is always helpful. I also have props we can try, and on Sunday during the day you know Hartwell will be chopped up enough from traffic lol.
    Thanks J! I'll send you the PM...

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodaksker View Post
    When this problem occurs I can usually tame it with a couple of glasses of wine, handcuffs and some leg straps............It doesn't always work but sometimes........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast