Looking to buy a 1998 Ranger R91 and need opinions

So the boat I am looking at buying is a 1998 Ranger R91 with a 2016 200HP Evinrude E-Tech with a warranty until 2022 and 50 hours on it. The boat also has a brand new minn kota fortrex, and a helix 9 si included with it. The trailer has been gone through, and bearing breaks, and tires have all been recently replaced. Would it be crazy to pay 16k for a boat this old. The gel coat is still in amazing shape, and everything else on the boat is fully functional. NADA puts the boat at 10500 but with the new motor and the warranty just wanted to get some peoples opinions. Thanks

2. Member
    I believe that was the first year they made the R91 and it's rated for a 200, so if you like the hull design and layout and it's in great shape, that's not a bad price. It's a new motor with warranty, so that's a major factor in the price they are asking.

3. Member
    IF you like it buy it. And keep it for a long time. Sounds like a good deal and you have a sound working platform you can improve on overtime. The motor was the biggest expense and you still have a warranty.

4. Member
    I like the R series boats and the OB warranty you would have is great.
    If the boat is in top shape and you like it -
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

5. Member
    Ive tried to look around online. People say biggest complaint is small front deck, can anyone vouch for this? Also wondered how people thought this would handle in rough water? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsaile44 View Post
    Ive tried to look around online. People say biggest complaint is small front deck, can anyone vouch for this? Also wondered how people thought this would handle in rough water? Thanks
    I had a 99 model for many years and the front deck is very small. The back deck is huge! Overall the boat has decent speed and pretty good rough water ride for a 19.5 boat. I loved mine and wouldn't hesitate to have another one.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Front deck is narrower than the newer boats. Still not bad though. It does have a big back deck. Nice riding hull. I dont think 16k is out of line with the newer motor
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

8. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    The R boats are great solid rides. Ranger should of kept making them IMO. They are fast, good handling and give a dry ride. The front deck is a little small, but you can get an extension to fill in the gap. What I really like about mine is its simplicity, easy to work on, no fancy switches that cost a fortune, etc. Do check for blisters where it rest on the bunks. Other than that make sure everything works and the motor checks out. I think the price is fair.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

I have a 2000 R91 and love my boat. It rides great. The bow is narrow but with an extended deck it suits me fine. Does it have a tandem trailer? If you have any questions PM me

10. Member
    i have a 2000 r83 with a 175, its been a garage queen, but it has about everything on it and was a one owner,you can drop 4500.00 in a boat real fast,i have new ultrex 112 with new batteries and 4 bank charger and hds-9 = $4500, i hate to say it but i have 15k in it

11. Member
    Ma dad had one from 1998 to 2015 when he bought a 520c. Like said easy simple 68mph loaded with the second motor (200 Opti) first motor was a 200 efi. We had well over 1200 hrs on the two. Did well in rough water tons of storage but the front deck is huge. All around good boat. In 2015 he 13k on the trade

12. Member
    My 98 r91 has the extended deck, makes a huge difference.

13. Member
    Thanks for all the help guys! I am going to look at it one more time this weekend, and make my final decision!