Bow Rise & Porpoising

Own a 2011 Ranger Z118 150hp Tempest 23P prop. w/Stingray Pro hydrofoil. Looking for solutions to bow rise and now porpoising. Trim Tabs? Jack Plate?Prop Pitch , 4 blade Prop?
    Trimmed all the way down. Looking for guys who have solved this issue on their boats. Hope you can help.
    Thank you, FishinRay

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Oh Boy am I going through this now. If you look in the tin boats section you will see my thread...you won’t be able to miss it! I’ve gotten some great advice there. My problem seems to be motor height.

In MY opinion your boat should not need a hydrofoil or any type of tab system to run perfect! Those are band aids or for specific types of boats or uses like getting a skier up....your boat is a proven platform and should not need any type of band aid.

First thing the smart people on here that help me are gonna want to know is prop to pad height and pictures if you can. Good luck! I’m raising my motor this weekend and crossing my fingers.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Banned
    A Z118 should not need a hydrofoil. I'd start by taking that off, and then playing with motor height.

4. Member
    Its all motor height!

5. Banned
    I would post on the setup page and see what some guru's can do.

6. Member
    Do you have a good source for correct height? I have talked with several Ranger and Triton owners but most have jack plates.

7. Member
    Ok. Will do. Thank you

8. Member
    You should be around 3.5 to 4 bellow pad from factory for motor height if no jp.

9. Member
    Are you moving the adjustment on a jack plate or moving it at the transom holes???

Ray,

I saw your other post in the set ups forum and think the twin 8' poles and their weight is large factor as well. You should at least post some pictures of your motor mounting location for these guys to look at.
    I can tell from your other post your level of frustration. There's nothing worse than the continued disappointment when your spending money trying to solve that kind of problem.
    I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations here.

11. Member
    One thing to is you could call ranger let them know what you have and see what they recommend. They should be able to tell you the correct mounting location for the motor. If you are not the original owner the previous could have moved it and then if you put poles on that could of changed things.

12. Member
    Contacted Ranger Dealer where original owner bought boat which is same dealer that installed Power Pole. He checked with Ranger and confirmed motor is placed correctly (4th hole from top). This was just to be sure that prior owner or recent install of power pole did not reinstall in wrong mounting hole. He also confirmed Tempest 23P was correct 3 blade prop.

13. Member
    Smart tabs, Smart tabs, Smart tabs. BY FAR the best money you will ever spend on a boat.
    War Eagle 2072 side console, Mossy Oak, Skinned with carpet,
    115 Optimax, Laser II, 19P.
    Rod locker, storage boxes, Terrova I-Pilot Link
    HB-899, HB-999, Bimini top, Smart Tabs,
    44 mph.

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Am I correct that you’re saying your motor is mounted as high as it can be with the motor holes?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    I believe porpoising is caused by a lack of power for boat attitude (trim). Have you balanced the compartment and personnel load fore and aft as well as diagonally? For instance my boat will porpoise if I have a lot of weight on the Starboard side versus some on the Port. It also porpoises if I trim it up before my thrust has developed. Not saying your motor height isn't a cause, if the prop sucks air the bow will fall through.
    Just throwing it out there.

16. Member
    Motor has total of 6 holes for mounting on transom. It is mounted in the 4th hole from top presently. As for SMART TABs I had considered and researched but other members have said for my Ranger it's a "no-no" and should not need. But if anyone knows of a Ranger boat owner with Smart Tabs let me know. The hydrofoil has not done the trick. I suspect this will require a Bass Boat performance technician ride ago.
    Jarhead in the Boat Set-Up ​section had suggested.