Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Switch to Garmin >> From Lowrance. Anyone?

Making the switch after really looking at all 3, and what they have to offer. Garmin seems like a good fit for me. I have been with Lowrance for 12-15 years, since the LMS-350 (many may not know what that is), but realize I cannot be afraid of change and learning new technology. Has anyone made the switch. and if so, what was the learning curve?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm halfway there....I opted to go with the Echomap Plus units. The top tier units have more in it that i wont use so I find the EC+ units to fit me. There is more setup functions on Garmin so a few touches but I find it easy to get around after a few rounds of playing with it. They also work with the new technology that is being put out like Panoptix & Livescope......Only thing is I wish/hope they come out with bigger screens for the EC+ units. Otherwise love the unit. Have one for the bow and will get one for the dash later this year.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    ^^ What he said ^^
    I switched over from old bird and lowrance units. Read the instructions, ask questions when you get them, make you tube your friend.

This will help, granted, these are higher end units. Its basically the same for the plus series also.

4. Member
    If being able to replay what you record is important to you, forget Garmin. Their software sucks BIG TIME and they apparently have no intention of ever fixing it. The problems have lingered for years.

Tom

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Just so you know, Lowrance doesn't even have a viewer that you can download to view their images...... the last one they released back in '14/'15 was used for SS HD recordings and no longer available from them BUT you can buy 3rd party software for Lowrance and HB to view recordings.
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 08-09-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I made the switch 100%. I like everything about Garmin except one thing. They do not play well with others. Getting data from a Mercury is challenging and does not let you see your trim. On many lakes I fish in Florida there are no Maps.
    Otherwise great and easy to use!!

7. Member
    I've had a number of Lowrance units... just switched to a Garmin chirp 93sv. The prices really came down and for $599 I don't think it can be beat for a 9" unit at the price. I realize the plus units are the newer model, but if you don't care about touch screen (I prefer the buttons) and won't be buying the livescope transducer its great value. It still has the other Panoptix transducer options though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    I've had a number of Lowrance units... just switched to a Garmin chirp 93sv. The prices really came down and for $599 I don't think it can be beat for a 9" unit at the price. I realize the plus units are the newer model, but if you don't care about touch screen (I prefer the buttons) and won't be buying the livescope transducer its great value. It still has the other Panoptix transducer options though.
    And I am just the opposite about touch screen. It is one of the primary reasons I bought the SV93 Plus unit. :)

It is SO much easier making marks, or doing anything else really, by simply touching the screen rather than messing about with buttons drilling down through menus. And buying the older technology means you will take a HUGE hit on the resale value should you ever chose to upgrade and get rid of the older unit.

I guess that's what makes horse races. :)

Tom

9. Member
    Regardless of what model and make. When you resell your units you will still take a big hit. Usually when I buy I don't go for the latest greatest " game changer " available. As long as my present system does everything I need to. I resist the temptation. When Humminbird came out with the MEGA I relented and upgraded my 1198C to the 10 Helix Mega SI G2. At this point in time I regret that purchase so far. The pretty pix don't make up for the work arounds I have to employ just to read the correct depth.

Anyway by willing to settle for a one or two generation back model of any make. When you do upgrade you will lose hundreds instead of thousands on top of the line MFD's.

Units for sale under the electronics forum on this site prove this to all of us.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

10. Member
    I’m thinking of making the switch to a Garmin Echomap Plus 73SV. I currently have a Lowrance HDS 10 Gen2 on the console and HDS 8 Gen2 on the bow. When I need to contact Lowrance for issues, it takes up to 45 minutes to male contact with a Rep. I do not believe their instructions/user manuals are much either so what makes them so expensive compared to Garmin? How is Garmin’s service? Is anyone seeing anything pro/con between the Echomap Plus 73SV vs. Lowrance HDS carbon combo unit? I fish a lot of the major NY/PA lakes - would they be on the pre-loaded Garmin software?

11. Member
    - Get on garmins site, they list what lakes are mapped, and whether it's hd or not. I can't remember if I downloaded lakes in your area or not. If I did, I'd be happy to take a few screenshots for you. If I can remember, I'll check tonight.
    - Garmins service is outstanding. If they don't know the answer to the question, they'll find out and call you back. It will also be someone you can understand.
    - Are there times you'll wait? Yes. You can leave a callback number, they will call you back. Or I think you can email/chat also.
    - As for why the price difference? Can't help you there. I always wondered the same thing. The images look quite good to me. I have no problems identifying a tree, dropoff, etc. It's catching them I have a problem with!
    - I would advise to get on garmins site, download the instructions, read through them. See what you think, compare it to what you have. It's free to do.

12. Member
    Thanks for your response! C couple more things - I read that there were issues with Garmin transducers - do you know if this has been corrected? Lastly, from your experience w/ Garmin, if I went to buty the Echomap Plus, would I be able to contact Garmin in advance to get recommendations for bundles/transducers, etc. so that I know the optimum setup so that I can purchase what I need?

13. Member
    For the transducers, do you mean the CV vs GT debate/issues? Last I heard, yes, as Garmin won the court case with lowrance. Although I'd contact Garmin to verify.
    FYI, I have the CV transducers, no complaints. You can search this sub-forum, find some of the threads on it. Also, go to the sonar/interpretation sub-forum, and look for screenshots. Most that have both transducers can't see a difference.
    As for figuring out what you need, I'd think Garmin would be able to set you up. If not, Ive had good luck with the board sponsors here also. They are very helpful, and knowledgeable.
    - Question for you- if you have a point one sensor and nmea 2000 network, keep it. I just installed one, it works great.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicangler View Post
    Thanks for your response! C couple more things - I read that there were issues with Garmin transducers - do you know if this has been corrected? Lastly, from your experience w/ Garmin, if I went to buty the Echomap Plus, would I be able to contact Garmin in advance to get recommendations for bundles/transducers, etc. so that I know the optimum setup so that I can purchase what I need?
    Don't know what "issues" you are talking about, but there has been nothing at all wrong with my unit, which is the exact one you are looking at.

echoMAP™ CHRIP Plus 93sv US LakeVü w/ CV52HW-TM Transducer

Call Brian at BBG Marine. A GREAT guy and he also has the best price going. The set will include the correct transducer giving you everything except Panoptix or Liveview, which are add ons anyway.

Brian's number is 888-570-0916

Website is http://bbgmarine.com/index.php

Tom

15. Member
    I started with Lowrance, went to Birds then to Garmins. Currently I have both Lowrance and Garmin on my boat. I just like the Garmins more. Easier to use IMO. The only reason I have the Lowrances is cause they show better SI images. Now Garmin came out with their UHD SI ducer and I want that to get rid of my Lowrances.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    Don't know what "issues" you are talking about, but there has been nothing at all wrong with my unit, which is the exact one you are looking at.

echoMAP™ CHRIP Plus 93sv US LakeVü w/ CV52HW-TM Transducer

Call Brian at BBG Marine. A GREAT guy and he also has the best price going. The set will include the correct transducer giving you everything except Panoptix or Liveview, which are add ons anyway.

Brian's number is 888-570-0916

Website is http://bbgmarine.com/index.php

Tom

17. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Everyone is making the switch, just look at how many pro's are running garmin electronics now. Just as a few other members have stated, I feel the echomap 93 (+) is the best bang for the buck. I too, wish they had 12", and 15"/16" screen models available as well, but the 9" will do for now. I have (2) 93sv+ units at my console networked together, sharing a transducer, and I also have a 93sv+ unit at my bow with it's own transducer as well. Everything is networked together via nmea2000, with a 19x gps puck up front, and another on the stern, as well as a steadycast heading sensor. I love the setup, it works great, my buddy has lowrance hds gen 3's, and he says my images are much crisper. I run stock settings, but I'm still learning them better, and better each time I go out. I dont think anyone has even mentioned the wifi capabilities of the plus units, and its compatibility with the active captain app. So much features on a mid level unit, its definitely worth a look at. Go to your local cableas/basspro and play with their display units, you wont be disappointed.

18. Banned
    Made the exact switch years ago, Garmin is about as user friendly as it gets, my old Lowrances were not.

19. Member
    FINALLY got on the water with my new Garmins.
    i have the 93 plus on the console, unbelievably easy to navigate and make changes without have to go back to the home/menu.
    And the images are quite impressive. Now I just need to figure out what all these things are that are showing up on the screen.
    I have the regular 93sv on the bow. Another real good unit. Was out in bright sunlight today, no problem seeing images on the screen.

20. Member
    Is the navigation good on the Garmins, I think I am ready to try one for the console.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast