Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonHaske View Post
    Everyone is making the switch, just look at how many pro's are running garmin electronics now. Just as a few other members have stated, I feel the echomap 93 (+) is the best bang for the buck. I too, wish they had 12", and 15"/16" screen models available as well, but the 9" will do for now. I have (2) 93sv+ units at my console networked together, sharing a transducer, and I also have a 93sv+ unit at my bow with it's own transducer as well. Everything is networked together via nmea2000, with a 19x gps puck up front, and another on the stern, as well as a steadycast heading sensor. I love the setup, it works great, my buddy has lowrance hds gen 3's, and he says my images are much crisper. I run stock settings, but I'm still learning them better, and better each time I go out. I dont think anyone has even mentioned the wifi capabilities of the plus units, and its compatibility with the active captain app. So much features on a mid level unit, its definitely worth a look at. Go to your local cableas/basspro and play with their display units, you wont be disappointed.
    If you believe the pros that have switched from Lowrance to Garmin did it for the technology only, I've got some swamp land perfect for condos for you cheap. Those boys are in business to make money, even when they can't win it, they are getting paid to fish with it. So please, save the advertisements for when they pay you to carry their water. Garmin is spending huge promo dollars.

2. Member
    Sure they are spending promo dollars. That's certainly part of the game. But there is more to it than that. They are spending in other areas too.
    Like mapping. They bought Navionics.
    Link sonar options. Wide assortment of chirp transducers that they manufacture themselves.
    R & D - Innovation. Panoptix and LiveScope

That's just to start with. I think there is a good case for the impartial observer to say that Garmin is #1.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Is the navigation good on the Garmins, I think I am ready to try one for the console.
    The best advice for that question- see if you can ride with someone who has the one your interested in, get on the water. Or second best - get to a store and get your hands on them. Start scrolling through the screens.
    That way you find out first hand if you like them.
    This was recommended to me when I was looking, I was looking at all three brands. I couldn't find anyone to ride with, so I went to different stores until if I got my hands on all the units I was interested in. Yes, it will take some time and gas. However, I feel it's time and money well spent, for the investment your making.

4. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    If you believe the pros that have switched from Lowrance to Garmin did it for the technology only, I've got some swamp land perfect for condos for you cheap. Those boys are in business to make money, even when they can't win it, they are getting paid to fish with it. So please, save the advertisements for when they pay you to carry their water. Garmin is spending huge promo dollars.
    I NEVER said they did it for the technology......I just said, look at how many made the switch. Wtf do you mean save the advertisements? The OP asked a question, I gave my opinion.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Garmin is spending huge promo dollars.
    Uhhhhhh, i see huge promo's from all brands.....come on man.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    Back in the mid '90's , I had a Interphase on my boat I owned then . Nothing Fancy , just down imaging . But they did have both a side scanning and forward scanning models available . Now with new boat that came with a simple model Lowrance , I was thinking of upgrading . Thus tried looking up the Interphase brand . Was drawing a blank until I came across a article that stated Garmin had purchased Interphase in 2012 . That was enough for Me to start reading through just about every thread here in in this section . Still looking at what model as I am only a part time fisher with My Grandson , Just want to Thank Everyone though on Providing Great Reviews and information on the models they have and operate .

Fred H.

7. Banned
    I don't know about now but I know in 2016 I marshalled, a few of the guys told me just about all the ones that didn't have a sonar sponsors were using Garmins, what does that tell you.

8. Member
    I used Lowrance since 1986.
    Always did me fine. Boo Coo fish caught by using Lowrance equipment to search for fish targets and the catch them.
    My new Garmin 7610 units work just as good. I think Garmin has a crisper picture.
    Most fishermen don’t use sonar electronics to target deeper water fish. The lesser priced units work fine for contour and break line location. The higher priced units reveal more detail and object separation.
    I like my Garmin system.

9. Member
    Navigation is really goo don Garmin versus Lowrance in my opinion. Tracking is way smoother, its faster, and doesnt do the "Lowrance Lean" where it looks like you are going sideways running down the lake. I just made the switch a week ago, and I am already liking these units. I am still playing around with them, but I like what I am seeing so far.

10. Member
    I had 12”bird mega units and they sucked constant interference, depth readings that would jump from 3 feet to 20 feet all the time even though you were in three feet of water - are those types of problems common with the Garmins?

11. Member
    No. Depth readings are good. You can get trolling motor interference with any brand. Interference from other transducers or units is very manageable.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicangler View Post
    I’m thinking of making the switch to a Garmin Echomap Plus 73SV. I currently have a Lowrance HDS 10 Gen2 on the console and HDS 8 Gen2 on the bow. When I need to contact Lowrance for issues, it takes up to 45 minutes to male contact with a Rep. I do not believe their instructions/user manuals are much either so what makes them so expensive compared to Garmin? How is Garmin’s service? Is anyone seeing anything pro/con between the Echomap Plus 73SV vs. Lowrance HDS carbon combo unit? I fish a lot of the major NY/PA lakes - would they be on the pre-loaded Garmin software?
    Interested in trading your hds units for a 73sv non chirp and a 93sv chirp with data sharing cable?
    2008 Z520 250 proxs 1B547930

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12