Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m gonna say this simply cause I’m too dumb not to. I don’t see the issue with getting performance upgrades, flashing or otherwise. Every diesel truck has a Bully Dog tuner or something else on it...same thing! When I put heads,cam,headers, etc on my Vette it wouldn’t run until I got it dyno tuned, that’s the way efi works. You bought it, do what you want with it UNLESS you burn it up and set it back to normal for warranty issues, that’s my only caveat.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I’m gonna say this simply cause I’m too dumb not to. I don’t see the issue with getting performance upgrades, flashing or otherwise. Every diesel truck has a Bully Dog tuner or something else on it...same thing! When I put heads,cam,headers, etc on my Vette it wouldn’t run until I got it dyno tuned, that’s the way efi works. You bought it, do what you want with it UNLESS you burn it up and set it back to normal for warranty issues, that’s my only caveat.
    I totally agree. I would wait until the warranty is up. That’s went the gloves come off.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    I totally agree. I would wait until the warranty is up. That’s went the gloves come off.
    I can see this if the mod caused a failure. Be hard pressed to say a tune caused a water pump failure, etc.

4. Member
    Ive always wondered if flashed when they plug it into their computer if it even says anything about it. I really doubt it
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

No wouldn’t be a problem for a water pump. But ecu well that’s different isn’t it.

If the tune, causes motor to store some out of specs numbers. That’s how they will find it. Hate to have the whole motors warranty voided just because of a tune. But that’s just me. Lord knows I’ve tweeted a few motors in my time.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

6. Member
    I had mine in for repair a couple months ago. It is flashed and was plugged in for diagnosis, Mercury covered it no questions asked.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    No wouldn’t be a problem for a water pump. But ecu well that’s different isn’t it.

If the tune, causes motor to store some out of specs numbers. That’s how they will find it. Hate to have the whole motors warranty voided just because of a tune. But that’s just me. Lord knows I’ve tweeted a few motors in my time.
    Takes some serious doing to void an entire warranty. If the ecu became an issue and Mercury wouldn’t warranty it, it’s not the end of the world.

Well this is good news. Never been one that was to cautious anyway. Lol

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I was thinking more of crank/cam/injector failure from running at 6500rpm or stuff like that. On a car/truck I always put the stock tune back into it if it’s going to the dealer. They might reflash your computer simply for an update then you’re computer is vin locked on your handheld tuner and you’re all messed up.

People using HP Tuners can literally control every aspect of a new car and if we are talking. Vettes, Camaro, Mustang, Charger...yeah a tune will void your warranty.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are a couple of differences to consider between your "Bully Dog" tuner and these Speed-Density systems on outboards. The most important one is obvious: You will likely never run your Bully-Tuned Diesel in someone's drinking water for a whole afternoon. Ok- that sounds real obvious but think about it.

There is no such thing as "Voiding" a Warranty for adding Performance Upgrades/Aftermarket Parts, etc. See the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1976 (as ammended) for some moderate reading in detail.

Manufacturers CAN deny warranty claims if you used a non-oem component or upgrade that in the findings of the OEM "Caused, or Contributed to a Failure".

Additionally, there may be specific exclusions written into the Manufacturer's Warranty (refer to and read the Owner's Manual for specific details).

My earlier comments were meant to point out that it is NOT always as simple as changing a "tune". I deal with at least 1 or 2 a month that "thought" they were getting another 25-50hp (or more) from having a flash done- only to find out there were other differences between the engines, and now they either have to back up and start over.

"Legality" stems from the fact that it is illegal (subject to fines if caught) to modify the emissions or HP footprint of these EPA Rated engines. Doubt you would ever be caught on the water, but if you were ever involved in a boating accident, the situation might be different.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I see where you’re coming from, I can see your point clearly. Unfortunately I have read magnusson act; there was legislation recently that was potentially going to significantly change the act and kill the aftermarket performance industry for vehicles..luckily it didn’t pass but I had to read it, because I like to be informed. Hurts my head to read some of the stuff I do!

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Seems alot of opti setups turn out well. Im not 100% sure but i think the 75 has a different camshaft than the 115. I know there are more sifferences than just ecm tuning i remember don weed posting about them when they came out. This is usually why flashed engines performance always falls slightly short of a motor born for that hp. Alot get very close tho. Prop work is important out of the box props generally do not have peak performance. Also in this hp range go 6” jack plate. Better all around.
    do you have a model number on the 6” CMC jackplate or is it universal? Any setback on it as welll? Have any pics of your setup?
    Last edited by ChanceG; 08-21-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    Always Ready!

13. Member
    Has anyone dropped down to a 15 pitch X7 Spitfire and raised the engine one hole? A similar approach got decent results with the 190TX/115 PXS4. The factory aluminum 3 blade 17 pitch seems to have a hard time reaching the 5500 top for many boats.

14. Member
    Wow that sounds small, but whatever works.
    Quote Originally Posted by squarebilljunkie View Post
    Has anyone dropped down to a 15 pitch X7 Spitfire and raised the engine one hole? A similar approach got decent results with the 190TX/115 PXS4. The factory aluminum 3 blade 17 pitch seems to have a hard time reaching the 5500 top for many boats.

15. Member
    Dropping a pitch seems to work with the X7, but raising the engine a hole may be enough. Hopefully someone who has done it will share the results.

Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    I had my 75 Merc 4s flashed last year. It will now runs alot better than before. I have had it a bit over 50 mph in cooler weather conditions loaded light. Loaded with me my buddy and all our tackle it will run about 44mph in the summer heat. It turns a lazerII 20p to about 6100 rpms on my factory tach, I know probably not accurate. This prop was purchased used and could use a bluprint and a bit of cup. I also have a Michigan Wheel 19p Apollo XHS that I can turn to about 6300rpm, it handles a bit better and has better holeshot. I usually use it when I have somebody with me. Then it wont turn the rpms and seems better overall when loded heavier. This is on a 2013 Crestliner VT17. I am very happy with the flash.

Did you you end up getting a jackplate on your set up? Also, what prop did you end up going with?
    Always Ready!

17. Member
    No jackplate yet. Maybe this summer so I can raise it up a bit and run the x7 19 pitch to redline.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceG View Post
    Did you you end up getting a jackplate on your set up? Also, what prop did you end up going with?

18. Member
    I've wanted to flash my 90hp 2 Stroke Opti but I'm not able to get any info from Simons on what other modifications I need to make to truly get the 115hp improvement. I know there are some internal differences between the 90hp and the 115hp but I'm not able to get a clear answer what they are. I don't want to drop $700 on a flash and get minimal performance improvements because of internal differences.

19. Member
    Other than taking out the throttle body air restricter that is it for the engine itself.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    Other than taking out the throttle body air restricter that is it for the engine itself.
    Might want to check the Parts Catalog a little more carefully, using the engine serial number. The insert is not the only difference between the 75/90/115/115 ProXS and 125 Optimax... throttle plates (most are different), cylinder block, powerhead, reeds are among items that may be different.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast