More foam good or not so good ?

I’m thinking out loud here so help me sort this out.
    The Ranger rt series is said to have more foam than other tins.
    From what I think I know the foam in tins is not sealed in like it is in glass boats.
    So all the talk of water logged foam in tins.
    so if this is all correct I wonder will all the extra foam in the ranger at some time just become extra water logged weight to have to deal with ?
    Not trying to start a war . Just a thought ?

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Ranger tins use closed cell foam just like glass boats......
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Ranger tins use closed cell foam just like glass boats......
    My understanding is it wil break down and waterlog eventually

All manufacturers use close cell foam. And yes it will break down over time. And the foam being used by most all manufactures is only a 90% closer cell. The foam that I use to replace in my boat. Has a 96 to 98% closure. It is used by a lot of the racing hydrofoil boats. There is a YouTube video by the owner of bass cat boats. Where he is talking about the foam capsulation in glass boats. And how they integrate those compartments into their hulls. Tin boats do not have this. There are so many places, seems and holes in aluminum boats. Not to mention that once the water gets pass the top deck. It has to go pas the foam to get to the drain.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Member
    All this is true......... I still think that the bulk of foam-water intrusion is caused by water SITTING in the boat.

Years ago, I owned a number of Carolina Skiffs. I ran the MSGroups Caro-skiff owners group. When we would hear of anyone having waterlogged foam in their hulls, most of the time it seemed to come from boats that were left sitting outside; in the rain.

That, by itself, wasn't the whole story. Sitting in the rain; drains plugged by falling leaves, mud or whatever....AND...we often found that the center console or the ice coolers were fastened to the deck without using any 3M5200 or other sealants.

Water sits for a while; starts leaking down the unprotected screw holes...water winds up below decks and permeates the foam.

Yes, foam holds water. it wouldn't if the water wasn't let in and allowed to sit in one spot for weeks on end.

My old tracker had more foam in it than my current RT188. The foam in the RT stops at around the console area. In my tracker it was the entire front bow area was filled with foam.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

7. Member
    I know if you ever have a problem and need some welding done on the underside of the boat that foam causes night mares!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    I know if you ever have a problem and need some welding done on the underside of the boat that foam causes night mares!!
    That's the truth!
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    All this is true......... I still think that the bulk of foam-water intrusion is caused by water SITTING in the boat.

Years ago, I owned a number of Carolina Skiffs. I ran the MSGroups Caro-skiff owners group. When we would hear of anyone having waterlogged foam in their hulls, most of the time it seemed to come from boats that were left sitting outside; in the rain.

That, by itself, wasn't the whole story. Sitting in the rain; drains plugged by falling leaves, mud or whatever....AND...we often found that the center console or the ice coolers were fastened to the deck without using any 3M5200 or other sealants.

Water sits for a while; starts leaking down the unprotected screw holes...water winds up below decks and permeates the foam.

Yes, foam holds water. it wouldn't if the water wasn't let in and allowed to sit in one spot for weeks on end.
    Hey Rich did y’all ever drill new drain plugs in the outside chimes on the hulls. That a new thing guys are doing to the Carolina skiffs. And they’re running plumbers flexible drill bits up the hull floor, all the way through the foam, to drain the water out.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Member
    "New things" Ha Ha Nah. Not new at all.

Drill holes and drain....Yep. I put Garboard Drain plugs in one of mine. Worked really well. Pull plug; tilt boat; leave for a week ( I was working so it was idle for a week a lot)..and Viola! Most of the water drained out.

If the prior owner hadn't screwed the console and cooler fittings down with NO SEALANT...and then left the boat outside full of leaves (probably), I would never have had the issues.

Operator error(s) 99% of the time. People were blaming the manufacturer when they should have been blaming the installer at the dealer, or themselves.
    rich

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    "New things" Ha Ha Nah. Not new at all.

Drill holes and drain....Yep. I put Garboard Drain plugs in one of mine. Worked really well. Pull plug; tilt boat; leave for a week ( I was working so it was idle for a week a lot)..and Viola! Most of the water drained out.

If the prior owner hadn't screwed the console and cooler fittings down with NO SEALANT...and then left the boat outside full of leaves (probably), I would never have had the issues.

Operator error(s) 99% of the time. People were blaming the manufacturer when they should have been blaming the installer at the dealer, or themselves.
    rich
    I here you.
    Manufacture got blamed for having a open plains skiff. But when someone would order add on’s like center console and front deck with the spindle legs. Things like that will get screwed down with no sealant. Screwing anything into the floor deck without sealant on the screws is asking for water to get to the foam below.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Member
    Both the Triton and Ranger are foamed between the stringers, under the floors, decks, and foam boxes in the back of the boat. This foaming is done after the floors and decks are installed with pressure which helps keep any water from setting on the foam. The foam is a closed cell foam, and through testing very little water will absorb in the foam.

Quote Originally Posted by jjtriton View Post
    Both the Triton and Ranger are foamed between the stringers, under the floors, decks, and foam boxes in the back of the boat. This foaming is done after the floors and decks are installed with pressure which helps keep any water from setting on the foam. The foam is a closed cell foam, and through testing very little water will absorb in the foam.
    And So is every other manufacturer boat to. My Tracker has the sponsons where it is pressure pumped in. In the process of doing mine. I found that it is every easy to it a spot more than a spot even 6” away for a second. And that foam will not raise at the same rake. That’s why I over did mine with a open top. And when the water get to the hull. Then tries to get to the bilge it still has to work though or around the foam. I have seen my friends RT in depth. It’s no real difference.

Look, it’s just something everyone should be aware of. There is no aluminum boat out there that is sealed, top decks from a inter hull. Look at a RT or any other boat. That is not carpeted. You will see the decks have on average 3” welds 4” space and 3” weld and so on. It can’t be welded solid, because the boat has to flex. If it can’t flex that’s how it breaks welds. So water will get in.

Yes the foam will hold its on for a long time. But it will break down, and shrink. Leaving open air places where water is slow to get out. That’s when it starts it’s intrusion process. Not to mention all the variables as to when it was sprayed in. As in colder temps. The foam won’t raise as much or tight as it will in a warmer temp. I used 2 different weight foam in my boat. And I can’t find one that does that. And they really should.

Guy don’t forget your plug when launching the boat. Don’t pressure wash the inside. And Don’t leave it uncovered in rain storms. Then you shouldn’t have any trouble with it for a long time to come.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

14. Member
    All those are good points.

I bought my 1652 G3 as a bare hull. I added a side console that I already owned and seats, trolling motor etc.. The dealer offered to put a deck/floor in for an additional $600.00. I chose to leave it bare so I could do it myself.

Rightly or wrongly, I wanted to know where the wires went. I wanted to know what size wires were used for each application. I had a sheet of aluminum from a prior boat that I used.

When it came time to add foam, I chose the sheets of blue foam from a big box floor. it was and is my understanding that that foam is sealed.

I purposely left one-inch gaps between the sheets and the aluminum channels. I wanted a way for the inevitable water to flow back to the stern/bilge and be pumped out.

Right or wrong, I feel that I did everything I could to add flotation and prevent future issues.

If I ever have an inkling that the foam is loading up with water, it won't take but a dozen screws to be removed and the entire deck area will be exposed and easily replaced. I even did my plywood ( yes, I used exterior plywood over the aluminum sheet) so it could be replaced for a few bucks. I put it in in two pieces so removing it won't mean having to remove the side-console at the same time.

richg99