How do I adjust a Trim/Tilt gauge?

Had a new Mercury Engine, a 2018 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, put on my 2008 Triton last Friday. Had it done while I waited... High Five to Robbins Marine in Milton, PA!... The only thing that didn't get done was adjusting the Trim/Tile gauge. Anybody know how to do it? I'd like to do it myself as its a 4 hour round trip to take it back to Robbins and I don't want to miss any fishing time!
    Last edited by OBT; 08-07-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

2. Member
    You don't adjust the guage, you adjust the sender. It is on the tilt cylinder pivot pin. Port side.

Adjust so that it is where you want it when coming UP. It will show differently when going down.... because the sender system is a POS

3. Member
    the gage is best used to determine when engine is full down position adjust sender to show lowest point on gage when full down
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Looks like there is no way to adjust it. The sensor or sender is small, held on with two screws (Top Pic) with no adjustment play. No "slot" to pivot the sender. Weird.

5. Member
    Take the sender off and see if there is a slot on the backside you can adjust with a screwdriver. Have the motor either all the way up or down when you do it.

Will give it another look. Thanks.

7. Member
    Figures. The newer the motors get.... the stupider I get.

8. Moderator
    does your gauge do anything?? that is digital sender.
    did they put a converter on? do you have digital or analog gauges? there is a couple options for you..

The gauge (analog with an indicating needle) does read the angle of the engine. It's all the way to "full" up when the engine is tilted full up. But...Then when the engine is down in its "operating range", it's nearly to the full down position on the gauge and any trim movements are small and difficult to see. I'd like to adjust the sender so that I can get that needle away from the full down side.

Don't know about a converter, nor where to look for one they may have put on. They did have to put on and adapter cable, (New tech meet 2008 Triton tech) though I don't where that was put either. Maybe the converter and adapter are one in the same?

And I'd be interested in the "options" you mentioned.

10. Member
    that is digital sender no converter available that I know of or adjustment will need to convert to smartcraft gages, if it was adjustable hole would be slotted might try four stroke section for your engine
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    might try four stroke section for your engine
    +1. I recall reading Don mention a trim converter harness allowing both digital and analog for the 150 4S, repost in the 4S forum and include your serial # to find out if your engine can use the same harness.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax