Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex or Fortrex

I have a fortrex currently and need to replace it. I'm leaning towards the ultrex but am hesitant. I fish 95% of the time in less than 6'. On many occasions i have the trolling motor height all the way up and kicking up mud. I'm worried about breaking the Ultrex if I hit stumps or rocks. I have had the fortrex breakaway only 3 times or so. I don't want to pay all this money for a ultrex and find out that it won't hold up to the shallow abuse. If it helps, I run humminbirds with a 360 and utilize the US2 so I won't be installing an external transducer. TIA

Ultrex , but I got to ask how does a 360 help in 6ft of water . If you can afford a 360 then Ultrex should be no problem .

3. Member
    The water I fish is very stained to muddy and I use the 360 to find and fish weed edges and pockets.

4. Member
    I just ordered my 2019 boat with a fortrex. Too many friends with too many ultrex issues. Pedals failing and not as durable mainly.

5. Joe4d
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    I just ordered my 2019 boat with a fortrex. Too many friends with too many ultrex issues. Pedals failing and not as durable mainly.
    Ditto for me as well, wont miss what I never had..

6. Banned
    I've had one for about 16 months now, never an issue and I'm not very easy on it, still have the spare in the original box sealed up.

7. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Ultrex!!!

8. Member
    give me a call and we can discuss the pros and cons of both. You can read many things on the internet, some are true and some are not. Both are good trolling motors and both have their place in the fishing world. As an ASC I see the good and bad of both. If you decide to order, I can have the trolling motor shipped to your door.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    Get the Ultrex. I've had one issue, but it was fixed easily. Also, that thing IS durable as hell. I crash it into docks, etc., and it keeps on trucking. Spot lock will change your life.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

Quote Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
    Get the Ultrex. I've had one issue, but it was fixed easily. Also, that thing IS durable as hell. I crash it into docks, etc., and it keeps on trucking. Spot lock will change your life.
    When do you use spot lock? Are you fishing over open water structure or mainly in shallow water?

Call John...he will shoot you straight.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Ultrex , but I got to ask how does a 360 help in 6ft of water . If you can afford a 360 then Ultrex should be no problem .
    My area lakes are usually murky at best and you're lucky to see more than 2-3ft below the surface. My 360 allows me to see things I would not be able to see otherwise. Here's some spawn beds from earlier this year.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 4Kboater; 08-08-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: .

13. Member
    Do you have a trolling motor 360 or a transom mount? If it's a TM, how do you bring the TM up real high when your real shallow without the prop hitting the 360?

To answer your question, get the Ultrex. Hands down. I fish shallow a lot too and the Ultrex is just as durable as the Fortrex, at least in the last year I've had it. I bang it around a good bit. If you're in any current or wind it's money.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Ive sold and installed a ton of Ultrex's, and I have personally been running one for over a year now. I still have my old Fortrex, i use it as a loaner to help get customers back on the water while I make repairs.

If my Ultrex died today, I would install another one immediately.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Do you have a trolling motor 360 or a transom mount? If it's a TM, how do you bring the TM up real high when your real shallow without the prop hitting the 360?

To answer your question, get the Ultrex. Hands down. I fish shallow a lot too and the Ultrex is just as durable as the Fortrex, at least in the last year I've had it. I bang it around a good bit. If you're in any current or wind it's money.
    i have the trolling motor 360. I have the 360 between 1-2” above the prop. When I raise the trolling motor all the way up the 360 sits just below the waterline.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg309 View Post
    When do you use spot lock? Are you fishing over open water structure or mainly in shallow water?
    I use it more than I even thought I would. Any time I'm fishing a specific spot, I put the nose into the wind and go to town without the boat ever moving. Every time I hook a fish, whether shallow or deep, I hit it to keep me in the same spot. I use it so much I couldn't imagine not having it. I also love the cruise control for not having to use the pedal.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

Quote Originally Posted by 4Kboater View Post
    My area lakes are usually murky at best and you're lucky to see more than 2-3ft below the surface. My 360 allows me to see things I would not be able to see otherwise. Here's some spawn beds from earlier this year.

I love the idea of them might be getting one this winter .

Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    You can't believe everything on the internet , some have reasons to bash products like jealousy .

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Go with the ultrex you wont be disappointed!

20. Banned
    I got a Fortrex (112) and was down at the shop when a guy came in an returned a 80. After some discussion, I went home and got the boat and they put on the Ultrex and told Me to fish like I normally do, which is shallow and no electronics. I put it through 2 different sessions and then got the Fortrex put back on.

When I type 'shallow' I'm referencing less than 5' (thats another positive, in most places here if You fall in, You can usually just stand up.)

Perhaps if I used electronics the Ultrex would be the way to go???

** I can type this: The Ultrex isn't equipped w/a NinjaGrassBlade and the Fortrex has 2 of them affixed and I can honestly type that I could tell a difference. I had to physically remove Lilypad stems and don't usually have to get involved w/the Fortrex

*** Your Mileage May Vary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast