Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have 2 minnkota ultrex and 1 fortrex. The first ultrex leaked water in the lower unit and fried everything by June. The 2nd I had to buy because of the turn around for the first one to get fixed. 2 weeks ago my 2nd one broke. Sensor in the foot pedal went out. So I just put the fortrex back on my boat. Luckily I got the 2nd ultrex fixed at the service yard during the bass open last week and was able to put it back on my boat the day before the event. I know about 5 guys with the ultrex and all but 1 have broke theirs.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

2. Member
    I do believe there have been issues with production. Let's say there's 1% chance for product returns/warranty. If MK sells 1000 Fortrex units and 100K Ultrex units that's a 10:1 ratio of possible issues so yes there's going to be more complaints. People will always post more negatives experiences over positives one.
    It's human nature.
    I have Ultrex and would not part with it. My Fortrex has been sitting in the garage for 2 yeas now as a backup and as several others have mentioned I would buy another Ultrex if it breaks.

There also the part about technique. I don't use spot lock in less than 10ft to fish, now bringing a fish in and not having to worry about losing my spot, I'll activate it. Heck, I still use an anchor for the in between depths that my power poles can't hold me . Especially if its windy or heavy boat traffic in 8 to 9ft. And during the spring when I'm beating the banks, its poles are the way.

3. Banned
    im not even going to answer that silly question

4. Member
    Ultrex all the way.

5. Member
    The Ultrex has been out well over a year and a half now and we're still selling a bunch of them. Minn Kota must be doing something right. Brian

I had my cable snap on my Ultrex in open water. Since then I found a 'new' Fortrex that I keep as a spare. If I have an issue I can quickly switch 'em. That said as shallow as you fish w/ stumps etc you may just go w/ another Fortrex.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

7. Member
    No doubt Ultrex!!

I owned both as in past and own both as in right now. I have the Ultrex on my 2018 boat and have a Fortrex for a back up. I only use the Ultrex and have no plans to use my Fortrex again. Knock wood the Ultrex has held up. I was very concerned the Ultrex would not because I use my trolling motor very hard, I fish the great lakes a LOT and if it can handle that it can handle just about any thing. NO issue at all with my Ultrex.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
    I use it more than I even thought I would. Any time I'm fishing a specific spot, I put the nose into the wind and go to town without the boat ever moving. Every time I hook a fish, whether shallow or deep, I hit it to keep me in the same spot. I use it so much I couldn't imagine not having it. I also love the cruise control for not having to use the pedal.
    i am the same way,i fish 99% of time by myself.catch a fish hit spot lock, change lure hit the spot lock, every time i turn around i am using it,no problems at all with mine,i went from a 112 fortrex to 112 ultrex and would not go back

9. Member
    Ultrex for sure. I’ve had mine for 9 months and it’s the best thing I’ve ever added to a boat. I fish very shallow water and I’m constantly raising and lowering the motor. No issues. I am careful deploying the Ultrex as the heavy motor does tend to make the shaft wobble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12