Thread: GT8IH vs GT15IH

GT8IH vs GT15IH

I have an EchoPlus 93SV and am looking to replace my CV52 on the transom with the GT30 and adding an in hull transducer. What's the major difference between the GT8 and GT15 besides $50?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Here is the "compare" feature that shows the difference. Looks like power, depth and Chirp.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...Product=573584
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Get the GT15. You may have seen earlier posts of me telling how good the GT8 is and it is-----for the money. It's not as good as the GT15 and you are doing in hull. Spend the extra money. You won't be sorry.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Leonard, does it make a difference in the hull???

5. Member
    The 600 watts vs 250 watts does. Also the lower frequency range gives it another advantage. Then you have more range in manual settings for cone width 24/13 vs 24/16. I really wish my 7610 and 1242T had the menu options that the EM Plus 93sv has. The cone widths are selectable in the menu. I do lots of fishing where the bank meets the bottom. Being able to set it on 13 will do a better job showing those fish holding tight to the bottom.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 08-07-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok...that's good to know since I plan on getting the UHD and will need a shoot thru ducer to add in bilge. Thanks.

7. Member
    Good enough!! Thanks for the info!

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The 600 watts vs 250 watts does. Also the lower frequency range gives it another advantage. Then you have more range in manual settings for cone width 24/13 vs 24/16. I really wish my 7610 and 1242T had the menu options that the EM Plus 93sv has. The cone widths are selectable in the menu. I do lots of fishing where the bank meets the bottom. Being able to set it on 13 will do a better job showing those fish holding tight to the bottom.
    Is it just with echo plus that you can change the cone width? I have not seen it on my 1040xs or 721xs but I also don't know where to look also.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Rick, check with BBG Marine on pricing for the ducer combo kits.....it will be cheaper than the Garmin website.....

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    Is it just with echo plus that you can change the cone width? I have not seen it on my 1040xs or 721xs but I also don't know where to look also.
    I can do it on my Echomap 7sv with a CV51

11. Member
    You can do it on any of the units that have a Garmin chirp transducer attached. On the EM plus units though, it tells you the cone degrees. On GPSMAP units you manually set the frequency and you have to calculate/estimate the cone width.

12. Banned
    Plus, with the GT15, it's easy to replace should it break for some reason. Mounting the base and screwing down the ducer is pure genius in design. With the base filled with RV anti-freeze you never need to worry about getting a good epoxy seal like a regular shoot-thru ducer.

13. Member
    Thanks guys. One more question. I have an 8" slidemaster jack plate. Can I mount the GT30 to the plate? I saw where some jack plates have some sort of pan that looks like a hole shot plate (but isn't) that allows you to mount the ducer underneath of it. Mine doesn't have that. I've also looked on the transducersaver website, but appears their mounts are only compatible with Lowrance and Humminbird? Any suggestions?

Not sure if it matters, but I have a 2018 Z19 with a 200 ProXs.

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    TSS do have the mounts but for jackplate you will need to bolt it to the side of jp.....give TSS a call, very nice and helpful people there. I sent an email thru the website expecting to get an email back instead the called back....

15. Banned
    You can do it on any of the units that have a Garmin chirp transducer attached. On the EM plus units though, it tells you the cone degrees. On GPSMAP units you manually set the frequency and you have to calculate/estimate the cone width.

Thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by Rick2018 View Post
    Thanks guys. One more question. I have an 8" slidemaster jack plate. Can I mount the GT30 to the plate? I saw where some jack plates have some sort of pan that looks like a hole shot plate (but isn't) that allows you to mount the ducer underneath of it. Mine doesn't have that. I've also looked on the transducersaver website, but appears their mounts are only compatible with Lowrance and Humminbird? Any suggestions?

Not sure if it matters, but I have a 2018 Z19 with a 200 ProXs.
    I emailed the folks at TSS wanting to install a GT30 to my boat with an unusual JP size and they recommended the correct parts and had a saver for the GT30. Those people are great and will help you through the whole process. I'm sure they will set you up.

17. Member
    Here is what the beam width option looks like on the echomap Plus 93sv. It's really a handy option. On the GPSMAP units you have to go in and manually enter each manual frequency separately before you can select it. Then you have to guestimate what the beam width is. Worse, if you reset sonar, it deletes all the manual frequencies. I play with the settings so much that I regularly reset sonar. On the EM Plus these stay even if you reset sonar. Much easier and more informative than on the GPSMAP units.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Banned
    Here is what the beam width option looks like on the echomap Plus 93sv. It's really a handy option. On the GPSMAP units you have to go in and manually enter each manual frequency separately before you can select it. Then you have to guestimate what the beam width is. Worse, if you reset sonar, it deletes all the manual frequencies. I play with the settings so much that I regularly reset sonar. On the EM Plus these stay even if you reset sonar. Much easier and more informative than on the GPSMAP units.
    Thanks. seems like the echo map is what I am going to upgrade to in the future. Thanks for all the help.

19. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok Leonard, on your advice and info i ordered and received the GT15 today....dam, thats a big ass 2d ducer.......it will be paired with a Echomap Plus and UHD system in the near future....hopefully i can get it installed before i get buy all the other stuff and hopefully the returns readings are better/crisper than my Lowrance.......

20. Member
    You can count on it. Well, unless you are running the Airmar TM150 on it. Then I would expect near identical performance. You will also see top performance in super shallow water. A lot of transducers seem to have trouble in really shallow water. Since you are getting the UHD I'm assuming you spend most of your time in shallow water, like 40' or less. Looks like your set.