Help! Center console lid problem

I have a 2014 Ranger Z521C. The center console lid came detached from one of the two hinges. Looks like the rivets popped out. Anyone experience this? If so, what did you do to fix it?
    I'm thinking of putting flat screws in it with nuts on the other side. Thoughts?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Every rivet in every lid has been replaced by someone, sometime. In the case of coin box lids, some guys have replaced with rivets, and some have replaced with stainless fasteners. I haven’t had occasion to work on one myself, but if I did, I’m sure I would use stainless bolts and nuts, probably nylocks. I don’t remember what kind of clearance you have on that model boat, but if there’s room for something more secure than rivets, that’s the direction I would take. Good luck. I’m sure someone with direct experience will be along to add to my comments.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Banned
    Rivets are good for one thing only and thats becoming loose over time. Like John said ss bolts with nylocks if you have room to access.

4. Member
    I am having that problem on my rod locker. Anyone have the size on the bolts that will work? Maybe save me some extra costs finding the right size.

Not the same boat, but I've done all my compartments except for the back hatch on my 481vs with #12 x 3/4" stainless pan head sheet metal screws. That back hatch needs it now. There were a couple holes that somehow got big enough to need #14s to bite into the lid. If those ever come loose, I'll likely be epoxying appropriately sized aluminum angle iron to the inside hinge-side of those compartments and putting the screws right back in. I just smeared some silicone in the holes in an attempt to seal up anything that might get degraded over time and ran the screws into place. They're extremely solid after two years on my rod lockers.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    Stainless steel bolts and Brass Nylock nuts with appropriate sized washers are the answer you seek.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

7. Member
    After further inspection I found that the backside of those rivets are molded into the locker lid. I called Ranger and they are going to send me a new lid with the hinges. Great customer service!

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevens View Post
    After further inspection I found that the backside of those rivets are molded into the locker lid. I called Ranger and they are going to send me a new lid with the hinges. Great customer service!
    No kidding!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    Well, Ranger emailed after I sent them pictures and said they could offer a discounted price on a new lid. I drove 3 hours to take pictures and 3 hours back. #reallydisappointed!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevens View Post
    I installed some wall anchors & used some stainless screws to fasten it down. Was shocked how the rivets were molded into the lid. Replaced cooler lid after getting spongy with spiderweb cracks. Bench seat replaced 4 months ago. Florida sun & heat in 100 deg > garage takes its toll. Ranger service is top notch. I’m original owner of 02 185VS.

I had this happen on one of my previous boats. I replaced the rivets with the next larger rivet, but added a stainless washer to the back side where the rivet pulls at. Now, the rivet snuggs up to the SS washer and is much stronger and will not pull thru the fiberglass.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    I ended up grinding the old rivers down with a drimmel and drilling them to push back into the lid. Then I used stainless steel flat screws to reattach the hinges to the lid. Seems to work just fine. Also recommend spraying a silicon lubricant on all the hinges. They seem to get tight over time from being exposed to the weather.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDozer66 View Post
    Stainless steel bolts and Brass Nylock nuts with appropriate sized washers are the answer you seek.
    I don't know if all Ranger lids are made the same as my 02 185VS but if they are similar, you cannot use screws with nuts for the lid side of the hinges. The hinges are attached to the deck of the boat with stainless steel screws but the hinges line up with the top of the lids which are made from fiberglass sandwiched with foam in the center. The rivets are routed through the fiberglass lip of the outside of each lid but end blind between the top lid surface in the foam core. Cannot use a machine screw and nut on the back (because it is inside the lid composite. You could use Stainless rivets but if you have any issues with them, a real PITA to drill out. I have replaced every single rivet in my lids with aluminum with a long grip range. They last a long time and are really pretty easy to replace. One of the things I really dislike about Ranger boats is the foam core lids. Just get some new 3/16" rivets and a same sized drill bit and unscrew the deck side of the hinge then remove the lid. Drill out all of the old rivets and replace with new. Then time to screw the lid back on.