Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skipping...Tell What You Know

I'm hoping to start a general discussion on the skipping technique.

I seldom fish docks but I do like to fish lay downs and overhanging willows etc. I'm a decent pitcher and side arm caster but it's difficult to get the bait under overhanging trees and lay downs with that type of cast. When I saw Ott Defoe skip a Donkey Rig under the over hangs, all the way to the bank, I said I gotta learn to do THAT!

I watched all the You Tube videos and went out and worked on it. I got better when I added a Daiwa Tatula TWS SV reel. It's the real deal when it come to being forgiving to backlashes. Better than other good reels like Curado E-7 or Chronarch Ci4. I was a dyed in the wool Shimano guy until I tried that Daiwa reel.

I could never find the right rod for this technique. I started out with my old trusty Falcon Lowrider 6'4" Spinnerbait Special, it seemed too stiff, then switched to a Dobyns Fury 705CB. It was great at great at skipping but a little too whippy for setting the hook on a jig or tube. I then switched to my favorite Cumara 7'3" MH and found it to be too long. I decided to go all in and buy the rod Andy Montgomery uses, Daiwa Tatula 6'9" MH. After all, when I wanted to be a catcher, I asked my dad for the Yogi Berra mitt.

So now I've got the rod on it's way and I'm ready to get serious to learn to skip a jig or chatterbait. I'm at the stage where I can successfully skip into the target I'm aiming at one out of five times. I know practice is the ultimate tool but I would like to hear what everyone else recommends.

What's the best line to use? ... heavy or light? mono or fluro?
    Best baits?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I seldom fish docks, but I do often skip. I use a 6-6” or 7’ mh st. croix, your reel of choice. Not saying the reel doesn’t matter, I just tend to set any reel pretty loose on the cast control. I usually use an older citica or curado, but I just got a Fuego ct I’m going to try too, I’m sure it will skip well. I don’t dedicate a reel for skipping, I just pick the rod up and make the cast I need. I prefer 30lb power pro for most things, and skipping is no different. No the bait makes a big difference, it’s probably 90% of the deal, considering the water is glass and you have the technique down. I like a light t rigged beaver bait, with and 1/8oz bullet weight usually unpegged. A 1/4oz jig/swim jig, a small swim bait, or a t rigged weightless senko. You could use a tube too, I usually do not. A light lure that isn’t going to grab water, but “bounce” off of it is what you want. A 1/4oz jig with a big chunck trailer is what I use the most. It’s all in the wrist and forearm, and thumb control. Check out Gerald Swindle on YouTube, he has a good video on skipping with a baitcaster.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I am 42 and started with a baitcaster when I was super young, like 8-10 and I have a problem with skipping. I have found that the best pole for me is either my 6’6” bps pro qualifier 2 or the bps 7’ platinum. With my boat the 7’ is a little long because I’m in a tin boat and I’m closer to the water.

I have tried both 17lb trilene XT & 30lb Suffix 832 and I’m having issues with backlashing with both, even when I get the perfect skip I’m picking line way too long for the cast to be useful!

i have a long way to go before I’ll be comfortable giving “tips” but that’s where I’m at.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Practice practice practice. I'm still far from good at it. For what it's worth, I've watched every skipping video I could find on YouTube and for my money, Andy Montgomery is the guy who helped me the most. Now whether that's just because his style is similar to mine or the way he explains it just works for me, or something else I can't say. He's probably the best at it there is, though, so I was drawn to his suggestions first and foremost before ever actually trying to implement them.

The one thing I didn't get from Andy that I feel like I *needed* to hear was when Swindle, in one of his videos on it at least, spent time to drive home the point about looking at - focusing on, not taking your eyes off - your target. It seems so obvious when he says it and probably when you read this, but until you really pay attention you don't notice just how often you find yourself really looking at that post or pontoon you're doing your best not to hit. Guess what happens when you're looking at that thing you don't want to hit...

Different strokes and all that. This is just what's helped me.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    I can only skip reliably with a spinning reel so I use that for skipping Senkos.

6. Member
    Best rod I found that absolutely worked for me is the Fitzgerald Bryan Thrift Series 6'9 Skipping Special.. Paired it with the Tatula SV and it's money.. Best line I've found is the Seaguar Tatsu in 15 or 20lb..

7. Scraps
    No fair watching Swindle. He makes it look way too easy. Like a magician at work. I use a Powell 705CB for skipping chatterbaits and it does really well with a Lew's BB1. Some guys, Ozarks guys, seem to swear by a 7ft hvy rod. There is a really good skipping video, LOZ or Table Rock, forget which one, guy ends up catching them in the snow. Skipping a fluke and even that donkey rig is really easy cuzz those baits skip easily. Maybe the biggest thing I've recognized is a big mistake, counter intuitive, is that you don't have to cast it hard. It's more about where the bait has to land and at the right angle to get under whatever you're skipping. For jigs and chatterbaits it helps to hand tie the skirt using mono or braid and glue your trailers on the hook to reduce aggravation. It doesn't seem logical but a chatterbait skips really well and is easy to learn with. I'm just getting into swim jigging so can't comment.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    The one thing I didn't get from Andy that I feel like I *needed* to hear was when Swindle, in one of his videos on it at least, spent time to drive home the point about looking at - focusing on, not taking your eyes off - your target. It seems so obvious when he says it and probably when you read this, but until you really pay attention you don't notice just how often you find yourself really looking at that post or pontoon you're doing your best not to hit. Guess what happens when you're looking at that thing you don't want to hit...
    This is important with all casting. I guess it's just hand-eye coordination but it makes a difference. Just weird to hear it from a redneck and it's dead on.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I live on a lake I'd guess has about 2000 docks and boathouses. I skip 70% of the time. My setup is as follows ALX Skipper rod, Diawa Tatula TW SV reel spooled 17 lb floro. My bait of choice is a 3/8 oz ACT lure arkie style jig with a rage trailer. The one thing that I want you to remember (less is more) do not try to overthrow this rig. When I'm out and someone ask me how to start I tell them to trim all the legs off the rage craw and put the body on the jig. You learn the technique better without the legs digging into the water. If on the cast you come in to steep the jig will bounce it you flatten your cast out a little more it will skip. Practicing short skips and getting a good foundation will allow you to lengthen your skips. This reminds me on hitting a draw in golf keep everything compact in the cast.

10. Member
    ALX Skipper rod and Diawa Tatula SV is the combo I use. Either 20 lb shooter or big game in 20 lb line. Something that helped me was to only fill the spool 1/2 way up. This dramatically improved my skipping as soon as I did this. Also to remember the smoother the water the easier it is to skip, when the water is choppy skipping is difficult to impossible. Set the reel up right and don’t over throw the bait. Boat position is important, it’s certainly easier out of the front of the boat then in the back. Practice a lot, as soon as I think I have it down I will backlash.

11. Member
    I'm still learning but I have recently had success with a few key things. Now I just need to burn them into my brain through repetitive motion. Let me share my observations. One make sure you have a rod with an extra fast tip but not a buggy whip. You want backbone but need that limber tip to load up. Second give yourself a couple feet of line so that the lure loads up and you can have some momentum working for you. This way you don't feel like you have to chuck it with everything you've got. Smooth motion or expect a backlash. Finally make sure you lift your rod tip at the end to prevent the bait from digging in. If you don't also expect a backlash. Then it is simply a matter of figuring out the proper angle for the best skip and feathering the spool as necessary. All the best to you.

12. Member
    If I ever start to struggle skipping 9 times out of 10 I notice I'm not raising my rod tip after it touches the water the first time. The videos on YouTube explain it but definitely pay attention to that.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

13. Member
    I'm no where near a good skipper but this is the best setup I've found so far: Tatula SV 8.1, 20# FC - only fill 1/2-3/4 of the spool, and a 6'9 rod with a soft tip and good back bone.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I have been practicing the skipping technique for two years now. I have tried several rods and reel combinations I have purchased the ALX Skipper and paired it with the Diawa Tatula SV and this combo is sweet. I try to practice at least 3 times a week attempting to be able to skip in three different styles. flip skip, back hand skip, and overhand skip because some of these are hard to do from the back of a boat or going from right to left.

15. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I wonder how this new reel would do for skipping?

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shim...page-CRDC.html
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    I wonder how this new reel would do for skipping?

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shim...page-CRDC.html
    If that is the "solution" - I would be getting one of those for skipping. Just wish they have that in 50 size.

17. Member
    I've practiced a lot with a variety of rods, reels and baits and currently here's what I've found that works for me. A 6'8" to 7' rod with a little stiffer tip and any of the Tatula reels because you can dial it in for the weight of the bait. Trying it with fluoro was a disaster, mono or braid is more forgiving for over runs. As far as technique goes I try to keep my arm straight and rod level with the surface. Don't whip it, slower is better. I try not to break my wrist at the end but raise the rod at the end of cast. Think of the motion like a horizontal j. I love it when everything goes right and my bait slides way back under the trees and brush.

My Daiwa Andy Montgomery skipping rod arrived yesterday so now my dedicated skipping rig is complete.

I am now trying to decide which type of line to go with. Two schools of thought seem to prevail....either braid or heavy mono or fluro. I'm leaning towards starting out with 20# Big Game, simply because I already have a big spool that I don't use for anything but the A rig rod.

Unfortunatly my trolling motor is off the boat so it at so it might be a couple of weeks before I can get much practice time.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

19. Member
    6'6 to 7ft m/hvy fast rod. I like my Tatula SV reel. The SV spool seems to help make up for lack of practice and skill :). Position the boat so you don't have obstacles like your electronics or gunnels. Point the bow of the boat at the target. Loose spool tension, not too loose but a bit looser than normal. Good skipping jig. Don't make it harder than it needs to be. Low angle of attack on the water. Release so the bait is gliding just above the surface. Don't throw too hard. You'll backlash. Rod tip should end pointing at your target. You just backlashed because your attack angle was too steep, threw too hard or have spool tension too tight or way to loose. You'll find the happy spot with practice. I was skipping a chattetbait under bushes and pulled a few out. Also, calm still water. Don't skip on chop. Practice and bring extra line. Don't spool it all up. Maybe spool 50-75 yards while you are learning. Be prepared to cut out many horrible, horrible backlashes.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

I use the sv also. I run my brake on 8-10, 15lbs invisx, 6'9 hammer mh. I skip shakey heads 98% of the time. I do sometimes at night skip a pegged ole monster.1/16-1/8 weight pegged. I think raising the rod tip in almost a swooping motion def help. When i would try to force the bait under a dock when it would backlash or make a horrible cast. Just take your time and easy it under there trying to underhand it at full force usually results in a disaster i found also.
    Phoenix 919 pro xp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast