Thread: Ned help

Ned help

Guys I am really digging this Ned rig. I have been messing around with this on a medium baitcaster setup tons of bites but haven’t gotten the hookup ratio down. I would like to stay with baitcaster setup but i also would like to hear what u guys use.

2. Member
    Shorten your ned.

It's a drop shot "hook set" for me. Just reel into them, let the rod load up, then maybe give a little extra pull to make sure you drive the point in past the barb. I feel like your rod may be too stiff and you're just yanking it right away from them.

I personally use a medium light spinning rod, and it's closer to light than medium. Braid to a 7 lb fluoro leader, very similar to what I use for drop shotting. This is why the small, light wire hook works so well. You reel into them, I think they instinctively clamp down when they feel their meal scurrying off, and the light wire hook just buries right into the roof of their mouth. If I was using a baitcaster, I'd probably be opting for a light power casting rod.

If you actually set it either it pops their mouth open and the hook's relatively small gap hauls water, or you bend the light wire hook.

It could also be small fish. If you're seeing your line hop or swim off toward the bank, you can bet it's a bluegill bite. Keeper bass bites you may feel a thump, but usually it's just gonna get heavy and take off for deeper water. Very similar to a fluke (worked slowly) or senko bite.

Eyra_kid may be along with some more advice - he learned from the man himself!
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 08-07-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: small fish possibility...Neds get bit, but they get bit by everything too!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    Man, I got a really hard tournament tomorrow on a difficult river. I might try a Ned myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    It's a drop shot "hook set" for me. Just reel into them, let the rod load up, then maybe give a little extra pull to make sure you drive the point in past the barb. I feel like your rod may be too stiff and you're just yanking it right away from them.

I personally use a medium light spinning rod, and it's closer to light than medium. Braid to a 7 lb fluoro leader, very similar to what I use for drop shotting. This is why the small, light wire hook works so well. You reel into them, I think they instinctively clamp down when they feel their meal scurrying off, and the light wire hook just buries right into the roof of their mouth. If I was using a baitcaster, I'd probably be opting for a light power casting rod.

If you actually set it either it pops their mouth open and the hook's relatively small gap hauls water, or you bend the light wire hook.

It could also be small fish. If you're seeing your line hop or swim off toward the bank, you can bet it's a bluegill bite. Keeper bass bites you may feel a thump, but usually it's just gonna get heavy and take off for deeper water. Very similar to a fluke (worked slowly) or senko bite.

Eyra_kid may be along with some more advice - he learned from the man himself!
    I think you nailed it pretty much Drew. The hookset, or lack of, is pretty important. Although, I'll add this...Ned uses medium action rods, and that's what I prefer too. He often touts the frugal approach, and his choice of rod is pretty economical. Shakespeare Synergy generally. Probably my favorite rod for this is a fairly economical 6-6 medium Falcon Original. Now I have used NRX, GLX, Cumara also. What I've noticed is that high-end rods are generally faster action whereas cheaper rods will be just a little more moderate. In my opinion, it actually helps with your hookup ratio to have this more moderate action. Just my opinion, as I know a lot of guys are using pretty high-end rods with great success. Just have to find what works for you.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I use my duckett 7'0 mh and just reel and sweep with 30 lb braid with 10 lb sunline floro leader. Just got a Duckett 7'2 mh that I'm going to incorporate into the ned rig.

7. Member
    Don't fight the egg beater. 10-15lb braid to 8-10 floro leader on spinning rod. Those light wire hooks will penetrate easily with a reel set. Ned rig is a finesse presentation, so you're just making it harder using a casting rod. You sure your bites are bass? I would think you would have to land at least one no matter what setup you're using if you're getting more than a handful of bites.

8. Member
    I have had most of my luck on a smaller reel 10# Power pro to 15 Floro leader . 6'6" Avid medium/ wire hook . My set is a reel and soft set. I will then give it a small pop mid fight . I think I might have lost one brown one on an awesome spit.

9. Member
    For baitcaster I have a ML/Moderate fast 7'6" Cumara rod and use curado 70 loaded with 10# super8slick. Works great with a sweep hook set no cross the eyes hookset thats for sure just sort of keep the pressure on.